Pegasus FocubeCube V2 Error Message- failed to connect

Anything that doesn't fit into any of the other forums
Brian1973

Pegasus FocubeCube V2 Error Message- failed to connect

Post by Brian1973 »

I have been struggling for sometime now to try and figure out how to 1) connect SharpCap with the Pegagsus FocusCube and 2) trying to better understand how to setup and use the auto-focus function in the program.

So far, any attempts I have made results in the Error message- failed to connect. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I have been using SharpCap for three years now and have always just stopped my sequence and readjusted the focus throughout the night as the temps fluctuate, however, I would like to try and learn how to automate this function.

Kind regards,

Brian
admin
Site Admin

Re: Pegasus FocubeCube V2 Error Message- failed to connect

Post by admin »

Hi Brian,

do you have the latest version of the Pegasus 'Unity' software installed? That's worth checking as if it has been a while since you updated you may have the older ASCOM drivers that Pegasus created (but they no longer update those older drivers).

I personally have a focus cube, and I have it working fine in SharpCap. I am wondering if the thing to do is to try using the 'Setup' button on the Focuser controls (or equivalently the 'Properties' button next to the focuser in the SharpCap hardware settings). When you press one of those, it should start up Pegasus Unity and allow you to choose which hardware the ASCOM driver should be controlling. It might be that if you haven't done this at least once then you could get the 'failed to connect' problem. It's worth knowing that sometimes Pegasus Unity will appear hidden away *behind* SharpCap when you press this button, so if nothing appears to happen except for SharpCap stopping responding, try using Alt+TAB to switch between applications to see if Unity is running in the background.

cheers,

Robin
Brian1973

Post by Brian1973 »

Hi Robin-

Attached are two screen shots- the error message that I recieve regarding the focuscube and how I currently have it setup in SharpCap.

I am not sure if this is note worthy- Whenever I disconnect and then reconnect my AA26C camera, the focuscube error pops up. I downloaded and updated the most recent ASCOM platform as suggested in your previous post and continue to receive the error message.

In addition to the PegausFocus cube I also own the Pegasus Astro PowerBox Advance Gen2 and have been using the Unity Platform software since the time it was first introduced.

Thought? Is there any additional information I can provide?

Kind regards,

Brian
Attachments
FocusCube Setup.JPG
FocusCube Setup.JPG (209.89 KiB) Viewed 905 times
pegasus focus cube error-1.JPG
pegasus focus cube error-1.JPG (123.02 KiB) Viewed 905 times
Brian1973

Post by Brian1973 »

Hi Robin-

After reading the SharpCap manual a few times I was finally able to resolve the error issue with the FocusCube. Due to the constant clouds here in the USA, I have spent the past few days fine tuning my SharpCap settings. Which leads me to this question- Is there a way to use my current images to test out the focusing function of SharpCap?

Kind regards,

Brian
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Brian,

glad to hear that you have the focuser connection sorted - I think the error message that you were seeing 'Please select a device' was the problem that I was trying to describe - that the properties button needs to be used at least once to tell the Pegasus software which device to use. It makes more sense when you consider that some people may have more than one Pegasus device, so need to pick the right one.

You can use previously saved images via either the 'Folder Monitor Camera' or the 'Test Camera 1 (Deep Sky)' to make SharpCap process and display the images as if they had come from a camera. You can then use the focusing tools to measure the focus of each image, but obviously if you change the focuser position it will not affect the previously saved image. This allows you to do some testing of the focus functionality, but obviously not a full test of autofocus.

Another option would be to try to focus on a terrestrial target if you can point your telescope out of a window at a distant object (tree, hill, rooftop,etc). In this case you would use one of the solar system focusing tools (ie Contrast detection), but you should be able to get the whole autofocus procedure to work including focuser movement.

Hope this helps,

Robin