M42 with Sharpcap beta 4.1 and new Stretch Mode setting

A place to share images that you have taken with SharpCap.
Forum rules
Please upload large images to photo sharing sites (flickr, etc) rather than trying to upload them as forum attachments.

Please share the equipment used and if possible camera settings to help others.
DrBobAZ

M42 with Sharpcap beta 4.1 and new Stretch Mode setting

Post by DrBobAZ »

Greetings

I thought I would post this result for M42 in Bortle 8+ and half Moon, Scottsdale AZ

https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/8660 ... p=12530982

I was using the beta 4.1 of Sharpcap

Using stretch mode '5'

This was M42, 10sec sub, 250 gain, modest total exposure of 11 minutes. It should also be good for galaxies, in that you could present the arms, without the core blowing out.

c6(f6.3)/asi294mc-pro(-10C)/az-gti(eq)/L-pro flats and darks.

Save as seen, no post-processing

I not only got faint nebulosity in both M42 and running man, but the trapezium is resolved, and one can see mottled structure in the core.

Big improvement over the previous treatment IMO.

Thanks Robin!

Comments welcome!

Bob
Attachments
M42.jpg
M42.jpg (120.69 KiB) Viewed 1375 times
Menno555

Re: M42 with Sharpcap beta 4.1 and new Stretch Mode setting

Post by Menno555 »

Very nice for a non-processed capture!

Menno
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

really glad that worked - basically imaging M42 myself a month or so back and struggling to pull out the faint detail without killing the trapezium area was what made me add the stretch mode option. I have some more thoughts that might lead to further stretch improvements in future, but they will take some time to fully work out and test.

cheers,

Robin
DrBobAZ

Post by DrBobAZ »

Menno555 wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 10:39 am Very nice for a non-processed capture!

Menno
Thanks! I really enjoy the domain of EAA, finding AP too time-consuming (and expensive!).

Bob
Last edited by DrBobAZ on Wed Mar 01, 2023 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DrBobAZ

Post by DrBobAZ »

admin wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 1:53 pm Hi,

really glad that worked - basically imaging M42 myself a month or so back and struggling to pull out the faint detail without killing the trapezium area was what made me add the stretch mode option. I have some more thoughts that might lead to further stretch improvements in future, but they will take some time to fully work out and test.

cheers,

Robin

Thanks Robin. Really appreciate what you do.

Bob
timh

Post by timh »

Like it ! I think that being able to do observational EEA to that sort of quality in a Bortle 8 zone within only 10 min plus capture a half decent instant image is one of the great strengths of Sharpcap -- now enhanced in 4.1 with better stretching. Tonight I was out on a cold night teaching a newbie where things are in the sky and what objects to see -- and even looking through an actual eyepiece on a cold night. It was a nice trip back to the past but it also reminded me just how difficult it is to really see anything at all at Bortle 8 visually through a 70 mm telescope. We struggled even with M35 -- bright moon nearby. As it happens we looked at the Orion nebula -- but my word - how much more than that faint visual smudge is DrBob's EEA view that was also under Bortle 8 skies. Tim
DrBobAZ

Post by DrBobAZ »

timh wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 10:54 pm it also reminded me just how difficult it is to really see anything at all at Bortle 8 visually through a 70 mm telescope. We struggled even with M35 -- bright moon nearby. As it happens we looked at the Orion nebula -- but my word - how much more than that faint visual smudge is DrBob's EEA view that was also under Bortle 8 skies. Tim

Thanks! That is precisely why I chose EAA when I re-entered the hobby after a 16 year hiatus. Back in 2000-2004 I lived in B4 semi-rural NM, and loved visual.

It took me two months in Phoenix/Scottsdale in B8+ to realize that visual was not going to cut it. EAA is the way to go for me, since I don't have the resources, patience, or time to do full AP.

That is the beauty of Robin's code. It makes very respectable images possible in a really short time.

Bob