Remarks on 4.1.10188.0 release

Discussions, Bug Reports and Issues related to Beta versions of SharpCap
Menno555

Remarks on 4.1.10188.0 release

Post by Menno555 »

Robin

Started SC for some testing today and the Auto Update became active, asking if I wanted to update to latest beta, 4.1.10188.0.
I choose to do so and the update procedure did start. Much to my surprise (and to the surprise of other programs that were open :) ), Windows 11 Pro was suddenly restarted after the install? I never had a Windows restart before with any SC install, so is this as expected with this version? It did mention something about a restart when starting the update, but I presumed it ment SC which is a logical action.
I did check the log and it looks like 2 versions of SC were trying to run: the old and new? The log has a lot of errors and "can't find ..." mentions. Don't know if that's expected but just in case I did add it.
There are 2 logs: one of 18:25 where the old version started and asked about the update and one of 18:26 which is the new version I prsume.

Also, the color scheme was changed back to normal (I always have it in night mode) after the update? As far as I can see that's the only change after the update to the settings.

Menno
Attachments
Log_2023-02-21T18_26_16-10244.log
(27.88 KiB) Downloaded 26 times
Log_2023-02-21T18_25_07-8620.log
(13.51 KiB) Downloaded 29 times
admin
Site Admin

Re: Remarks on 4.1.10188.0 release

Post by admin »

Hi Menno,

that's not something that I expected to happen either - I did set up the first auto update notification today for 4.1, but the installer is very similar in structure to the old one (just changes for new files, etc), so I wouldn't expect a reboot.

The only thing I can think of is if the old version of SharpCap that started the update was still running then maybe the installer decided the reboot was needed to make the files available to update. Is it possible that it stayed open after launching the update (or that you had two or more versions of SharpCap running when the update started). Actually, I wonder about the two copies thing - I will test that myself.

The logs for the update end up in the temporary directory (they come from the install process - they might reveal something).

cheers,

Robin
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

One unexpected reboot later... Yep, two copies will do it. I suspect it has always been like that, but never noticed before. I will see what can be done to stop it!

cheers,

Robin
Menno555

Post by Menno555 »

admin wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 7:33 pm One unexpected reboot later ...
:lol:

I don't know if it was always like this. At least not with the current stable build. Like I said, I never had this befor.

Menno
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

yes, as far as I can tell, every version will do that from the auto-update if you have a second copy running when auto-updating.

In normal use, that's unlikely, since it will do an update check when you start the first copy, and you will either update or chose not to, meaning that the second copy will either be the new version or will not prompt since you decided not to update right now. It will happen if

* You run two copies and choose manually to do auto-updates in one and there is an update available
or
* I publish a new update at some point while you already have SharpCap open (I think).

It won't happen with the normal download and install - that shows a bit more interaction in the installer and prompts you at the end if a reboot is necessary.

On the auto-update I had it so that the installer ran through showing progress without interaction. What I didn't realize was that this would cause an auto-reboot without prompting if one is needed. It seems, annoyingly, there is no way to tell it to install without interaction but *do* prompt for a reboot. At least, not unless you stop relying on all the built in support for this and implement your own... Sigh...

For now, I will make the auto-update an 'interactive' installer, which will require a couple of extra clicks, but gets rid of the unexpected reboots!

cheers,

Robin
Menno555

Post by Menno555 »

Hi Robin

Another observation: in the Plate Solving settings tab, there is no blinking cursor when manually changing the focal length. As far as I can tell all other setting tabs do have a cursor indicator visible.

Menno
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Menno,

as far as I can see, you get the blinking cursor if you click in the focal length box twice (slowly, not double click). The first click in the box highlights all the text, then the second puts the cursor into the box, and for me, it blinks.

cheers,

Robin
Menno555

Post by Menno555 »

Hi Robin

Forgot to mention :roll: : it's in Dark Mode. Just did check again and I have no cursor indicatior then.

Menno
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Ah, that makes sense then - probably black on black (or black on very dark grey). I should be able to fix that.

cheers,

Robin