ASI2400MC

Somewhere to ask questions about the best way to use SharpCap
Forum rules

If you have a problem or question, please check the FAQ to see if it already has an answer : https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap-faqs
Broz

ASI2400MC

Post by Broz »

I realize that this depends to some extent on my scopeside pc (Minisforum GK50, N5030 Gemini Lake processor with 8 GB RAM), but are there image size limitations in Sharpcap? Any issues with a 26 MPixel ASI2400 MC? I'm not too worried about stacking keeping up since I can increase exposure time and reduce gain if necessary. Thanks,
John
admin
Site Admin

Re: ASI2400MC

Post by admin »

Hi John,

make sure you are using the 64 bit version of SharpCap (and Windows!). In general you should be OK, but some things will use a lot of memory and may be very slow - in particular

* Satellite trail removal
* Live stack enhancement options - noise reduction and sharpening tools

If you run into out of memory errors or excessive slowness then try to avoid the above features, or potentially consider 2x2 binning to reduce the amount of data being processed.

cheers,

Robin
Broz

Post by Broz »

Thanks Robin, I assume using an ROI would also help? If I do use an ROI can I still use the full-frame flat and dark, or do I have to make a set of correction frames with the same ROI? Thanks again,
John
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi John,

yes, ROI will also help. Recent versions of SharpCap (ie 4.0 from the last few months, and 4.1) allow you to use a full resolution dark and flat when in ROI mode, and they will cut the right part out of the full resolution dark/flat and use that. I wouldn't like to be sure what would happen if you used the flip controls on the ZWO camera along with that though - probably not good! 4.1 has a new flip control that is applied after dark/flat processing, which simplifies things if you want to re-orient the image.

cheers,

Robin
Broz

Post by Broz »

Robin,
What are ZWO flip controls? Is that to do with meridian flips? If so, no worries. I use a Planewave L-350 mount that does not require meridian flips (at least so far as I know). I have a cdk 14 on the mount with a QHY600m and filter wheel for AP, but I thought if I get an ASI2400MC to swap out with the mono 600m I could use the system for EAA (which I currently do with an 8" Newtonian, ASI294MC and Sharpcap), also mounted on the L-350. The cdk might be an amazing EAA platform if I can get it all worked out. Thanks,
John
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi John,

there is a control to flip the image vertically or horizontally (or both) available for the ZWO cameras. Handy if you want a target to appear the 'right' way round, but it messes with flats/darks, so actually best avoided. Nothing to do with Meridian flip (except, I suppose, you could use it to correct the image orientation after a meridian flip).

I should imagine that the 2400 camera will work well for EAA - I haven't tried one of the cameras based on the IMX410 sensor, but I believe it is the same technology as the IMX571 and 533 sensors which are both absolutely excellent. Good luck - if it works well, you should get some stunning images with that set up :)

cheers,

Robin
Broz

Post by Broz »

Thanks Robin,
John