Strange and sparkly EEA of the Perseus double cluster

A place to share images that you have taken with SharpCap.
Forum rules
Please upload large images to photo sharing sites (flickr, etc) rather than trying to upload them as forum attachments.

Please share the equipment used and if possible camera settings to help others.
timh

Strange and sparkly EEA of the Perseus double cluster

Post by timh »

A couple of nights ago I was demonstrating the use of Sharcap and EEA to someone who has just bought their first telescope. Warm indoors with a cup of tea - EEA has just so much to commend it as a means to observe many objects live in one night at a level of detail quite impossible at the eyepiece. It is amazing quite how good a 10 minute image can be.

However there are hazards -- especially because you can't see it you lose track of where the telescope is actually pointing. So we were both admiring this strangely attractive image of the double cluster as it built (just a live stack of 18 x 40s exposures in the 300 mm F4 Newtonian - As1294MC). Then I took the SC autostack - removed some background in PI using dynamic background extraction and then corrected the colour using SPCC.

I later realized that the telescope had taken these images through a thick bush of winter branches. I recall Brian (Oopfan) describing a cross hair device that he had put in front of his refractor in order to add diffraction spikes - well here is another method if ever you should want the stars to appear like this ?
Attachments
aa_NGC884_889_VX12_18x40s_130223_ Stack_16bits_18frames_720s_ABE_ABE_ABE_SPCC_BlurXtstars0.1_NoiseXt0.5_tran_affinity16bit_PX_mini.jpg
aa_NGC884_889_VX12_18x40s_130223_ Stack_16bits_18frames_720s_ABE_ABE_ABE_SPCC_BlurXtstars0.1_NoiseXt0.5_tran_affinity16bit_PX_mini.jpg (999.74 KiB) Viewed 1225 times
turfpit

Re: Strange and sparkly EEA of the Perseus double cluster

Post by turfpit »

Good effort through a bush Tim. The star colours turned out well.

Dave
admin
Site Admin

Re: Strange and sparkly EEA of the Perseus double cluster

Post by admin »

Lovely!

I've done imaging through the branches of a tree before too, though not with such pretty results. You can get away with a lot with a fairly fast F-ratio, but slower setups are not so forgiving - the greater depth of field means that the obstructions are less out of focus.

cheers,

Robin