QHY168C only showing in DirectShow Cameras List

tonyb

QHY168C only showing in DirectShow Cameras List

Post by tonyb »

Hi,

New to SharpCap 4. Running Win 10 with Version 4.0.9530 (PRO).

My understanding is that my QHY168C should show up as a camera in a separate QHY list from the DirectShow list, but I don't see it listed.
Even when connecting with one of the QHY cameras (native WDM and broadcast) listed in DirectShow, I'm not able to capture images nor see cooling controls.
I have the latest AllInOne from QHY (re)installed, rebooted etc. Direct USB cable to laptop from camera.

I've looked through the forum and see lots of QHY and USB tips, but nothing so far has helped.

Thank you for any advice.

Best,
Tony
admin
Site Admin

Re: QHY168C only showing in DirectShow Cameras List

Post by admin »

Hi Tony,

do you get an image when using the directshow driver? If you do then it sounds like the windows driver is talking to the camera correctly. If not then maybe it is one of those cases where the camera shows up in directshow regardless of whether it is connected or not.

If you can, try another PC. Another thing is to make sure you have 12V supply - some cameras do not work fully powered only from USB.

cheers,

Robin
tonyb

Post by tonyb »

Robin,

Thank you for the suggestion. I switched from a lightweight laptop to a modern desktop PC and the QHY showed up as a separate camera and everything worked. Although there is a separate DC connector with supplied AC adaptor, which I was using, I suspect the USB hardware/motherboard on the laptop didn't supply enough power. QHY's website says:
Power: USB Powered for camera and +12V powered for TEC
Best,
Tony
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Tony,

glad that you have it working properly now.

Some manufacturers have started taking the approach that the camera will not even appear over USB unless it has 12V power. In my view this is probably a good thing, as there are some cameras out there that 'sort of work' without 12V power, but tend to fail - seemingly randomly- when they haven't got it.

cheers,

Robin