Stacking centered on comet nucleus

Got an idea for something that SharpCap should do? Share it here.
Forum rules
'+1' posts are welcome in this area of the forums to indicate your support for a particular feature suggestion. Suggestions that get the most +1's will be seriously considered for inclusion in future versions of SharpCap.
DrBobAZ
Posts: 75
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2021 11:41 pm

Re: Stacking centered on comet nucleus

#21

Post by DrBobAZ »

Hi Robin

Went back and checked, and you were right, the FWHM filter comes back online when you exit comet alignment mode.

Bob
abillionnewstars
Posts: 52
Joined: Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:27 pm

Re: Stacking centered on comet nucleus

#22

Post by abillionnewstars »

For anyone reading this, the comet stacking works well!
Thank you Robin!!

Give it a try on what's left of ZTF when the moon goes away or when the next comet comes around (hopefully not too distant in the future...).

Stephan
rac19
Posts: 150
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:01 pm

Re: Stacking centered on comet nucleus

#23

Post by rac19 »

I have used the Comet Alignment setting for the first time tonight, I finally got a clear night with C/2022 E3 at a reasonable Alt in the Southern Hemisphere. I have recently removed my wedge, being content to operate in Alt/Az mode with frame rotation being dealt with during stacking. I think that I may need to use the wedge for Live Stacking and Comet alignment though. I have my doubts that the comet image is being "de-rotated". The star trails are curved. Is this correct? I can attach an image if required.

EDIT: Image attached, limited post processing. The radius of the star trails is "interesting". I am not sure whether the comet is de-rotated or not. The question for me is whether or not I need to go back to using the wedge.
Attachments
DB128079-DB68-4963-A25B-F09A52696A27.jpeg
DB128079-DB68-4963-A25B-F09A52696A27.jpeg (228.45 KiB) Viewed 2614 times
User avatar
admin
Site Admin
Posts: 17384
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2017 3:52 pm
Location: Vale of the White Horse, UK
Contact:

Re: Stacking centered on comet nucleus

#24

Post by admin »

Hi,

stacking in comet mode does not de-rotate the image, so you will need to track on an EQ mount (or with a wedge) rather than ALtAz.

The reason for this is that the comet stacking uses just a single point to align (the nucleus of the comet), so cannot work out a rotation for it.

I'm afraid I hadn't thought that one through when designing this feature, so it didn't even occur to me until seeing your post :(

If I do get a version that stacks the stars *and* the comet then I would be able to fix this because I could get the rotation from the stars...

cheers,

Robin
Jean-Francois
Posts: 829
Joined: Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:52 am
Location: Germany

Re: Stacking centered on comet nucleus

#25

Post by Jean-Francois »

Hello,

I did yesterday (the first imaging since November) some tests on the comet with the new stacking feature.
My setup has 2 telescopes mounted on the same mount (Newton 10" with reducer to F#2.9 and a RASA8" F#2).
I take at the same time a live stack with 2 sessions of SharpCap. One connected to the QHY-268 camera, the other to the QHY-174 camera.

The stacking on the comet nucleus was good working (after tuning the values) with the RASA and the QHY-268 camera.
It was not possible to find the pair of value for the Newton/QHY-174 camera. I try during 20 minutes (it was OK ... SharpCap was stacking the comet on the other telescope :-)) all the values between min and max.

Here some of the results (note some images with no or minimal processing). No dark or flat correction with the RASA/268, only dark subtraction with the Newton/174.

Here a sub region of the RASA/268 image: (I will process the raw again while the box was still centered on the comet).
C2022E3-ZTF_90frames_900s_RASA8_QHY264_L.jpg
C2022E3-ZTF_90frames_900s_RASA8_QHY264_L.jpg (151.67 KiB) Viewed 2599 times
Here the resulting of the live stacking on the stars with the Newton:
C2022E3-ZTF_40frames_1200s_N10-F2.9_QHY174_L.jpg
C2022E3-ZTF_40frames_1200s_N10-F2.9_QHY174_L.jpg (140.33 KiB) Viewed 2599 times
Here the result after processing the same raws with Prism software (with image shift calculated after plate solve and comet direction vector):
C2022E3-ZTF_40frames_1200s_N10-F2.9_QHY174_L_Prism-Stack.jpg
C2022E3-ZTF_40frames_1200s_N10-F2.9_QHY174_L_Prism-Stack.jpg (406.91 KiB) Viewed 2599 times
I will now start a second session ... 2 nights with clear sky is rare in my region.

Regards,
Jean-Francois
User avatar
admin
Site Admin
Posts: 17384
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2017 3:52 pm
Location: Vale of the White Horse, UK
Contact:

Re: Stacking centered on comet nucleus

#26

Post by admin »

Hi Jean-Francois,

glad that you had some success - do you have any of the individual frames (4 or 5 would do) from the ones that failed to align? I can test them to see if I can work out if anything can be improved.

cheers,

Robin
Jean-Francois
Posts: 829
Joined: Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:52 am
Location: Germany

Re: Stacking centered on comet nucleus

#27

Post by Jean-Francois »

Hello Robin,

I do now some tests this evening. This time only with the Newton telescope.
It works now ... I have no idea why not yesterday.
I will prepare a summary and send it tomorrow.

Now I do other tests ... I remark that the SynScan driver allows very, very low rate.
I calculated the RA and DEC rate necessary for compensating the movement of the comet (0.0015x and 0.0086x).
I use my SHG_Script for commanding the telescope. The MoveAxis command allows to move in RA and in DEC at the same time.
And ... it works :-)

By the way ... if you have some time, can you please describe a little the changes of some functions with the new ASCOM in the version 4.1 ?
I can not use my SHG_Script with the version 4.1. An error appears saying that something like that "AxisRate expected, got int()".

Regards,
Jean-Francois
rac19
Posts: 150
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:01 pm

Re: Stacking centered on comet nucleus

#28

Post by rac19 »

admin wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 2:21 pm Hi,

stacking in comet mode does not de-rotate the image, so you will need to track on an EQ mount (or with a wedge) rather than ALtAz.

The reason for this is that the comet stacking uses just a single point to align (the nucleus of the comet), so cannot work out a rotation for it.

I'm afraid I hadn't thought that one through when designing this feature, so it didn't even occur to me until seeing your post :(

If I do get a version that stacks the stars *and* the comet then I would be able to fix this because I could get the rotation from the stars...

cheers,

Robin
Thanks Robin,

I didn't think about it myself, until I saw the curved star trails emerging. I reinstated the wedge this morning. I was thinking of doing this anyway because, while the Evolution mount has questionable precision for long exposures, the wedge does help with the framing of larger DSOs. It looks like comets are another reason to use a wedge, even when stacking shorter exposures.

Best regards,
Richard
Jean-Francois
Posts: 829
Joined: Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:52 am
Location: Germany

Re: Stacking centered on comet nucleus

#29

Post by Jean-Francois »

Hello,

So here the summary of last night.

This time the live centering on the comet nucleus works with the Newton images.

Here 10 minutes (60 x 10s) ... AAAccchhh!! again forget to uncheck the box showing the target.
C2022E3-ZTF_60frames_600s_N10-F2.9_QHY174_L_SharpCap.jpg
C2022E3-ZTF_60frames_600s_N10-F2.9_QHY174_L_SharpCap.jpg (155.89 KiB) Viewed 2561 times
OK, second try this time 20 minutes (40 x 30s) (without the box :-)):
C2022E3-ZTF_40frames_1200s_N10-F2.9_QHY174_L_SharpCap.jpg
C2022E3-ZTF_40frames_1200s_N10-F2.9_QHY174_L_SharpCap.jpg (150.66 KiB) Viewed 2561 times
I used the automatic dark and flat subtraction in SharpCap. But my flat is not very good ... the right side of the image is over corrected.

After that I did an interesting test ... the idea was that my mount follows the movement of the comet (not more the star, by the way note that I have no autoguiding). The ASCOM driver from my EQ8 mount allows an intermediate rate. The test was to set the mount to the displacement of the comet.
The SynScan software does not allow to set a custom rate on the axes and in SharpCap it is only possible to use the predefined rate (typ. the same as the hand controller or the SynScan driver). With SharpCap Pro, it is possible to program a small application ... I did it for my sun observation with a spectrometer (SHG imaging). So yesterday evening, I tested my script for the comet imaging.
But first ... in which direction shall move the axis ? ... With the software Prsim, I load the actual orbit parameters, on the 9.2.2023 the comet displacement was 8.78 "/min in the direction 190.1°, yesterday it was 7.83"/min.
After simple calculation, the mount movement should be in RA 0.0017 "/min and in DEC 0.0096 "/min ... but in + or - direction ? In addition the DEC direction change depending on the side of the pier.

Here the result (20 x 30s) ... the mount was moving in RA minus = 0.0017 "/min and in DEC minus = 0.0096 "/min.
Note that the values change permanently. But for this image, it was necessary to disable all the automatic centering in SharpCap.
C2022E3-ZTF_20frames_600s_N10-F2.9_QHY174_L_MoveAxis.jpg
C2022E3-ZTF_20frames_600s_N10-F2.9_QHY174_L_MoveAxis.jpg (180.18 KiB) Viewed 2561 times
Maybe that one day I will write a small program for the comet tracking (open loop without autoguiding).

One bonus image :-) ... here with a small piece of a plane.
C2023E3ZTF_with_plane.jpg
C2023E3ZTF_with_plane.jpg (133.21 KiB) Viewed 2561 times
Good weekend,
Jean-Francois
FXModels
Posts: 26
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2022 2:25 pm

Re: Stacking centered on comet nucleus

#30

Post by FXModels »

I have been trying to track on a comet but I just get double exposures like I am looking at it crosseyed with two frames, then triple exposures with three rames etc...

No matter what I set the ignore stars filter size to it doesnt work. No matter what I set the detecton threshold to it doesnt work. It just makes the comet fatter and and adds another copy of the comet into the frame.

I have Align Frames and Align on Comet checked. I have Ignore Stars Filter size at 50 which was the default and it didnt work. Then I set it to
15 with no difference.
I have detection threshold at 0.10 to no effect, 0.05 to no effect and now .20 just to see what it does. No difference.

Its just not working. Comet is 2023 A3 Tsuchenshan-ATLAS. Its the fuzziest thing in the image.

Is this feature broken in the latest release?
Post Reply