New comet tracking feature C/2022 E3 (ZTF) Scottsdale, AZ

A place to share images that you have taken with SharpCap.
Forum rules
Please upload large images to photo sharing sites (flickr, etc) rather than trying to upload them as forum attachments.

Please share the equipment used and if possible camera settings to help others.
donstim

Re: New comet tracking feature C/2022 E3 (ZTF) Scottsdale, AZ

Post by donstim »

Great to hear that you may be able to try to stack the stars and the comet separately. I was going to ask if that was possible, but thought it might have been a stupid question! I like the results you can get on the comet with comet "tracking", but don't really care for the (what looks to me like) over-emphasized star trails, and especially when tracking is not perfect as seems to be the case in some of the photos here.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

yes, will be looking at this when I get some time. May be tricky though - if the star mask isn't accurate then it might cover too little area around a star (meaning that the core of the star will be extracted but you will be left with a trail made up of rings of light from the outer portions)...

cheers,

Robin
RonAM

Post by RonAM »

46E55771-E422-4661-BB20-2A6D33AAA928.jpeg
46E55771-E422-4661-BB20-2A6D33AAA928.jpeg (252.81 KiB) Viewed 1028 times
This capture used half-second exposure per frame, 5-minutes total with SharpCap pro. That keeps the stars and comet in fixed relative position. The comet tracking images are cool as they provide a sense of motion for the comet against the background stars but I also like to see everything together as well. I used a Canon 50mm FD lens at f2.8 mounted on my ZWO ASI294MC pro camera, no filters. It’s not an Astro quality lens but provided the wide field I desired. Cropped to reduce file size to post here.
Last edited by RonAM on Wed Feb 08, 2023 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
RonAM

Post by RonAM »

No tracking either- simple tripod mount. Used SharpCap livestack to follow the moving field without tracking. That also ends up cropping the image but with wide field and 5 minutes total time I still get about 70% of the total frame. Additional cropping to 50% size to meet <1 MB posting requirements.