Error message - An error has occurred while writing RAW frames between 2 live stack sessions

A place to report problems and bugs in SharpCap
Forum rules

If you have a problem or question, please check the FAQ to see if it already has an answer : https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap-faqs

Please also read about Troubleshooting USB Issues before posting.

*** Please do not post license keys - please report any problems with licensing to 'admin' by private message ***

Please include the following details in any bug report:

* Version of SharpCap
* Camera and other hardware being user
* Operating system version
* Contents of the SharpCap log after the problem has occurred.
[If SharpCap crashes, please send the bug report when prompted instead of including the log]
NeilG

Error message - An error has occurred while writing RAW frames between 2 live stack sessions

Post by NeilG »

Hi,
Strange one this.
Using latest beta 4.1.10119.0 (BETA) 27/01/2023
I was running a live stack, using comet stacking feature - all looking good, getting good images on screen.

Stopped the live stack to re-centre the comet, pressed 'CLEAR in live stack and got error message:-
An error has occurred while writing RAW frames. No more RAW frames will be written. This usually means that the disk is full.

disk most definitely not full - a mostly empty 1TB SSD (noted that the same error occurred earlier with a 480Gb SSD, but put that down to a problem with the SSD - having checked it over since - no problem with it).

Log file attached.

Error message in the log file occurs at about 19:11:41 timestamp.

tried completely exiting live stack, but same problem. Only way to clear it was to shut down SC and restart.

Later noted same problem when I had set livestack to reset and clear every 20 minutes. First 20mins OK, but then get same error message.

Regards
Neil
Attachments
Log_2023-01-30T13_38_32-13116.log
(884.77 KiB) Downloaded 32 times
Scopes: Celestron C11, 102SLT , Ascension 127mm Apo, Opticstar 152mm Mak, Ascension 80mm Apo
Mounts: EQ8, EQ5 Pro, Nexstar SLT
Imaging: ASI1600MM-Cool, ASI533MC-Pro, ASI290MM, ASI224MC, Quark, QHY5L-II-M,
Opticstar 82 eyepieces, lots of other stuff
admin
Site Admin

Re: Error message - An error has occurred while writing RAW frames between 2 live stack sessions

Post by admin »

Hi Neil,

The issue is to do with file naming - SharpCap will now refuse to overwrite existing files in most cases (for some cases if you have just clicked a 'save' button you will get prompted to overwrite or not, but not for background saving like raw frames in live stacking).

It looks as though you have set up your file name templates for raw frames as something like

Code: Select all

e:\{Date}\{TargetName}\rawframes\frame_{Index}.fits
If you run two stacks of the same target on the same night then the second stack will try to use the same filenames for the raw images as the first, and you will get this error.

Your best bet is to check your filename settings and update them to prevent the overwriting - probably include the Time somewhere in the template (which will use the time that the stack started, so will make it different for each stack). The Filename settings should warn you about possible issues with overwriting if it detects that they could hapepn.

On my side, I need to fix the message so that it shows something about overwriting, rather than the disk being full. I will also check that the code that gives the filename warnings in the settings picks up this particular case.

cheers,

Robin
NeilG

Re: Error message - An error has occurred while writing RAW frames between 2 live stack sessions

Post by NeilG »

Hi robin,
Thanks for the speedy reply. However, I still think there is a problem as I've set file naming to WINJUPOS format -which I thought included the time as part of the filename?

Neil
Scopes: Celestron C11, 102SLT , Ascension 127mm Apo, Opticstar 152mm Mak, Ascension 80mm Apo
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Neil,

there are separate filename patterns for different types of file, and the ones for live stack raw frames can be different to videos or normal captured frames.

Do make sure that you have the latest SharpCap 4.0 build and check the filename settings page - if it doesn't give you a warning about overwriting then please send me a screenshot of the filename settings and I will investigate further.

cheers,

Robin
NeilG

Post by NeilG »

Hi Robin,
Ah, of course, forgot that bit. Thanks for the clarification

Neil