Orion Starshoot All-In-One

Cirederf

Orion Starshoot All-In-One

Post by Cirederf »

Hi,
I'm trying to use the SharpCap software but my Orion Starshoot All-In-One camera isn't showing up. Any help?
Thank you in advance,

Cirederf

Edit:
I got the camera to show up in the tab but I only get a black screen
admin
Site Admin

Re: Orion Starshoot All-In-One

Post by admin »

Hi,

SharpCap doesn't support the Orion cameras directly so you have to either use an ASCOM driver or a DirectShow driver to connect to the camera (some cameras have both available, some only one). If you have both for your camera it is worth trying both of them to see if either works. If no luck there then please come back with a few more details like the driver you are using for the camera, the version of SharpCap you are testing and the contents of the SharpCap log after you've attempted to work with the camera.

thanks,

Robin
Cirederf

Post by Cirederf »

I got it to work but the entire program window is now red.
Also, is there a way to change the resolution?
And why am I getting such low FPS?

Edit:
It stopped working

Cirederf
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

The red is probably night mode - that's changeable in the settings dialog.

I presume you are using ASCOM - it's not really designed around high frame rates, so you will probably get up to 5 to 15fps, but no higher.

cheers,

Robin
Cirederf

Post by Cirederf »

I'm getting like 2 fps...
Also why is my feed black and white?
Is there a few to change the resolution?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Try the latest 2.10 beta version - that adds the ability to choose smaller resolutions and to force SharpCap to debayer the image (turn your black and white raw image to colour). For the latter, try the various 'Force XXXX' options in the 'Debayer Preview' control until you get one that gives correct colour.

cheers,

Robin
mmeichle

Post by mmeichle »

I am also having about 2 fps using ASCOM driver for the Orion Starshoot All-In-One. It is supposed to be a relabeled QHY5l-II color camera, but for some reason I am unable to install and use the QHY drivers.

WHat I have found: the ASCOM will always be about 2 fps regardless of resolution. It usually doesn't work well. Am I doing something wrong? It might be the orion ascom driver because I see similar problems in PHD2 and other programs that use ASCOM. The biggest problem with the ASCOM driver is not only is there a low frame rate, but the exposure time is completely erratic. Sometimes I can get short exposures (sent at the slow fps), but usually, it doesn't work well or predictably.

Good news, I have the latest version of SharpCap 3.0. The Orion Starshoot All-In-One driver using the WDM broadcast mode works much better than it did in the SharpCap 2.9! It is more reliable. I can get FPS to almost as fast as I can using the horrible Astrocap that comes with the orion camera. So I use AstroCap to set resolution and exposure and enable live broadcast with Sharpcap on "Orion camera (WDM).

It is a bit confusing on how to set the exposure and resolution in SharpCap to be consistent with the same in the AstroCap WDM source program. Do you have any guidance on this?

I really like the improved SharpCap 3.0 and may have to get a supported camera to fully use it.

Thanks
dbunna2

Post by dbunna2 »

While trying to get my SSAG to work with another piece of software running on a Raspberry Pi the author sent me:

"I think I know the problem: your SSAG is using the same hardware as the QHY5 camera, but it has a different identifier so the QHY5 driver is not loaded for it."

There looks to be a Linux file here:
http://www.indilib.org/forum/ccds-dslrs ... l?start=12
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I'm afraid that I don't have any experience with using the Orion cameras - it sounds like you have found a good workaround with the Broadcast mode driver.

@dbunna2 is very likely correct - the camera probably has a different USB ID to the QHY camera that it is based on, so Windows will not load the QHY driver for that device. There may be ways to force Windows to load the driver, but even then it's not certain that things will work - the QHY driver or SDK may not work if the USB device ID is different.

cheers,

Robin
jimmyscotts

Post by jimmyscotts »

Were can I find the settings in my camera?