Stereoscopic 3D moon made out of own data

A place to share images that you have taken with SharpCap.
Forum rules
Please upload large images to photo sharing sites (flickr, etc) rather than trying to upload them as forum attachments.

Please share the equipment used and if possible camera settings to help others.
Menno555

Stereoscopic 3D moon made out of own data

Post by Menno555 »

In November 2021, I posted this: viewtopic.php?t=4832
It shows the distance variation and libration of the Moon. Back then I already wanted to make a stereoscopic version since there is a perspective shift. But it only gave weird results.

Fast forward to a week ago: I was going through some older captures and stumbled across this one also. And viewing it, I realized right away why it gave weird results: stereoscopics are based on a horizontal shift and not diagonally like in the above topic.
So I rotated the captures until the variation was horizontally and now it works :D
Of course it's not something one could see in real life due to the distances and size. But it's a nice effect nevertheless.

For those unknown with stereoscopics: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stereoscopy
I made 2 versions: a parallel (the 1st one) en cross eye (2nd one) version. It differs per person which one works, this has to do with how our brains process visual information. For me I get the good 3D result with the parallel. The cross eye gives a kind of "hollow" effect.

Easiest way to see it, is to cover your least dominant eye with your hand and focus with the other eye.
For example the left eye is covered. Now for the parallel version, focus on the right moon with your right eye or for the cross eye version, focus on the left moon with your right eye.
Once focused, remove your hand and let the images "flow" into/onto each other.
It can depend on a few factors like your distance to the screen, brightness of the screen, ambient brightness of the room, reflections on the screen (on a mobile device for instance), etc.

Parallel
Parallel
3D-maan-par.jpg (103 KiB) Viewed 980 times

Cross Eye
Cross Eye
3D-maan-cross.jpg (103.23 KiB) Viewed 980 times
admin
Site Admin

Re: Stereoscopic 3D moon made out of own data

Post by admin »

Hi Menno,

what excellent fun! I find the cross vision one much easier to do (and if you try cross eyed vision on the parallel one then the moon looks a bit hollow...)

Did you ever encounter 'Single Image Random Dot Stereograms' - magic eye pictures? They were rather fun. I seem to recall there was a trick to seeing those that it helped if they were behind glass - you started by looking at your reflection in the glass and then shifted to focus on the image and the 3D sprung out.

Queen's legendary guitarist, Brian May, is both a keen astronomer and very fond of stereoscopic images...

cheers,

Robin
Menno555

Re: Stereoscopic 3D moon made out of own data

Post by Menno555 »

Thanks Robin :)
And yes, those "magic eye" pictures I know. Was my first encounter with the whole 3D stuff.

And I didn't know about Brian May and stereoscopics. Did look it up and some cool things there.
This one especially is very cool :D
Not made by him, but still ...