No Colour Captured

Discussion of using SharpCap for Deep Sky Imaging
brenski

No Colour Captured

Post by brenski »

I know something is wrong somewhere here, but I just can't get any colour captures.

First, my capture equipment:
♦ Skywatcher Evostar 72ED DS-Pro [LP Filter]
♦ Skywatcher Star Adventurer Pro 2i Wifi + Tripod
♦ Skywatcher 9x50 Right Angled Corrected Image Telescope Finderscope
♦ Optolong UHC Light Pollution Filter 2"
♦ Stellamira Field Flattener / 0.8 Reducer
♦ Zwo ASI 183MC Pro (cooled)
♦ Capture Software: Sharpcap - Raw16, Gain 206, Exp 17s, Debayer View On, - 160 images @ FITs or TIF,
♦ Stacking software DSS - Raw = Bilinear Interpolation, Camera RGGB,, Monochrome 16bit FITs are files created with a DSLR or color CCD,

My problem is I can't seem to get beyond this kind of result (attached) - No matter what i do, I'm not getting any colours. Feeling like I'm missing a big "thing" somewhere. I've heard about debayering, but Deep Sky Stacker the resultant stacked image is still grayscale.

My understanding is that Sharpcap can't debayer, so this has to be done post-capture. What's the easiest way to do this and with which application?
admin
Site Admin

Re: No Colour Captured

Post by admin »

Hi,

looks like a good image, even without the colour!

SharpCap will happily debayer the image to display on screen, but will try to always save *without* debayering, since that allows for smaller saved files and the freedom to process using various different debayering algorithms afterwards.

DSS can debayer, but the last version I used would only do it for FITS input files, and you had to turn that on manually in the FITS settings in DSS (see viewtopic.php?p=4320#p4320).

If you have PNG or TIFF saved files then the best thing to do is debayer them in PIPP (https://sites.google.com/site/astropipp/home) and then feed the debayerd images into DSS.

Hopefully that will get you your colour!

cheers,

Robin
brenski

Post by brenski »

thanks Robin

I've just in the last hour or so installed Pipp and debayered - as RGGB (the tif file setting for the Zwo). awaiting the completed DSS stack to see what i have.
I'll report back
brenski

Post by brenski »

yep, it's definitely a case of adding a debayering stage to the pre-stacking process.
PiPP has done the job nicely.

workflow now =

Capture [Sharpcap] > Debayer [PiPP] > Stack [DSS] > Processing [PShop / Affinity]