Combine Goto Co-ordinate with Goto Image

Got an idea for something that SharpCap should do? Share it here.
Forum rules
'+1' posts are welcome in this area of the forums to indicate your support for a particular feature suggestion. Suggestions that get the most +1's will be seriously considered for inclusion in future versions of SharpCap.
donboy

Combine Goto Co-ordinate with Goto Image

Post by donboy »

Wondering why the Goto tool isn't a combination of both processes of moving to a target. It would seem quicker and more like normal to enter a target
ID and have the mount move to the Co-ordinates and then plate solve, eliminating the plate solve of an image. Then finish off with a recenter and entering of target name.

Don
admin
Site Admin

Re: Combine Goto Co-ordinate with Goto Image

Post by admin »

Hi Don,

well really the two are for different purposes...

Goto Image will do it's best to reframe exactly as captured in a previous session, including rotation if you have a rotator and offsetting the target if you have done so for framing reasons. You cannot just do that from the catalog, as at best you would end with the catalog co-ordinates centered.

Goto co-ordinates is more traditional, but will just center the catalog co-ordinates for the target, so you may need to make manual framing adjustments.

You seem to want to skip using the image, so makes sense to just not use 'Goto Image' and use 'Goto Co-ordinates' instead.

It would be nice for Goto Image to set the target name - I guess it might be possible to pull that from header info in a FITS file...

cheers,

Robin
donboy

Post by donboy »

I was not thinking of your intended purpose for Goto Image, but was looking for a way to automate gotos with plate solving. I was also looking to avoid the long wait for a picture plate solve that doesn't always work for some reason. Maybe adding plate solving to Goto Co-ordinates would be sufficient. Then one could draw from the annotation files and goto to target and plate solve and enter target name.

When I use either of these tools, while live broadcasting, the viewers are very impressed with the ability of these automated SC features.

Don
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Don,

now we're talking :) Adding an option to refine the position to 'Goto co-ordinates' makes perfect sense and is very easy to do.

cheers,

Robin
donboy

Post by donboy »

Hi Robin,

When using the Goto Coordinates routine I have to remember to change the exposure to a few seconds from the normal long exposure for stacking because the 'Wait for next live view frame' uses the full exposure time. If I forget to shorten the exposure then one sits there for the whole length of exposure time so it can capture a frame. I'm wondering if something can be done to avoid shortening the exposure and then putting it back to the longer setting when reading to live stack.

Also is it possible to have this routine first stop PHD guiding before it moves the mount?

Regards,

Don
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Don,

yes, I agree that there needs to be a reduction in exposure, like the reduction during dithering in live stacking. I am also thinking about having a set of exposure and gain values to use for plate solving in this situation which would help too.

Like the pause guiding idea. It would only make sense during live stacking, but that's fine.

cheers,

Robin