Sequencer and Live-stacking

A place to post guides, instructions and HOWTO documents on the use of SharpCap and Astrophotography in general
Forum rules
One tutorial per topic please.
Please only post content that you have created in this form.
Tutorials should be either in PDF format as an attachment or written in the first post of the topic. Links to video tutorials you created are also acceptable.
Ana

Sequencer and Live-stacking

Post by Ana »

I prefer Sharpcap over many acquisition software for one main reason - livestacking. I save every individual stacked frame, then process them in Pixinsight. However, to enjoy astrophotography I need to see livestack picture. Otherwise, it is too boring for me. Nevertheless, I would like to little bit automate this process with sequencer, since often picture captures could continue well over midnights.
I can understand a majority of sequencer functions (not all as yet). Questions are:
1. How to use sequencer with livestacking functions? Could you please give me steps 1, 2, 3 etc.?
2. Dithering in sequencer and livestack looks different. I have never performed this function. Could you please explain how to do it in livestack? Let's say I would like to dither every second frame. How to do so? Livestack asks dithering after X sec. What does this mean? It could be middle of frame.
3. Final question is about guiding. I guide independently from Sharpcap functions. However, I understand that these software can communicate. Let's say I would like to run two frames, disconnect guider, dither, settle mount for X sec and X pixel precision and continue guiding. How to do so?

I will ask separate questions about autofocusing and meridian flip in separate posts.

Thanks a lot!

Ana
admin
Site Admin

Re: Sequencer and Live-stacking

Post by admin »

Hi,

if you wish to automate live stacking then you need to use the 'Sequence Editor' rather than the Deep Sky Sequence planner. The full sequence editor has more power and flexibility.

If you look at the 'Processing' steps available in the sequence editor you will find lots of options for controlling live stacking, which will be useful to you.
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (64.44 KiB) Viewed 11046 times
With respect to dithering/guiding, if you intend to use live stacking then set up the dithering settings in live stacking during a normal (non-sequenced) live stacking session - they will then be used when live stacking. Do not try to use the dithering/guiding command in the sequencer with live stacks - those commands are designed to work for simple image capture.

In order to get SharpCap to co-ordinate with your guiding, you need to tell it to talk to PHD2 in the guiding settings - see https://docs.sharpcap.co.uk/4.0/#!2!Guiding%20Tab

Hope this helps get you started

Robin
Ana

Post by Ana »

Hi Robin,

I have run some experimental Sequence Edit protocols for live stacking.
Looks good. Couple of questions.
1. I have written protocol for automated live stacking. When I run it, Live Stack functions are blocked. For example, I cannot set different level of stretching, or Filter FWHM, Filter Brightness, Save Stacking (in Raw Frame), etc. Is it normal? Do I need to adjust all these parameters before running a Sequencer Edit protocol?

2. I live stacking dithering tells (after X second). Let's say my frame is 120 sec-long, what will happen if I put dither every 115 or 125 second?

Thanks a lot!

All the best!

Armen
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

yes, the locking of the controls during the sequence is deliberate, since changing things like the exposure or gain during a sequence could mess up the results. Unfortunately it is difficult to change the code to allow the stretch, etc to be available while leaving the other controls locked, but I do want to do this at some point. You can put a 'Prompt' step into the sequence, which can allow the controls to be unlocked until you press OK. Maybe I could just have an 'unlock controls' block that could be used for this on an opt-in basis...

Dithering will occur at the end of the next frame after the time limit has elapsed, so if you set 115 it will dither every frame, 125 will dither every 2nd. You can also specify dithering on a frame count basis, which may be simpler.

cheers,

Robin
Ana

Post by Ana »

Hi Robin,

Very informative!
I will try with "Promp". However, I will mainly use automation, when I leave rig capturing photos and I am sleeping.
Terrific weather is coming, I will try all these configurations.
Thanks a lot!

All the best!

Ana
Ana

Post by Ana »

admin wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 1:56 pm Hi,

yes, the locking of the controls during the sequence is deliberate, since changing things like the exposure or gain during a sequence could mess up the results. Unfortunately it is difficult to change the code to allow the stretch, etc to be available while leaving the other controls locked, but I do want to do this at some point. You can put a 'Prompt' step into the sequence, which can allow the controls to be unlocked until you press OK. Maybe I could just have an 'unlock controls' block that could be used for this on an opt-in basis...

Dithering will occur at the end of the next frame after the time limit has elapsed, so if you set 115 it will dither every frame, 125 will dither every 2nd. You can also specify dithering on a frame count basis, which may be simpler.

cheers,

Robin
Hi Rob in,

Weather was great. I have tried many configurations.
I would like to ask several questions.
1. It will be great to have some functions in live stacking available, when sequencer in operation. These functions are histogram stretch, color balance, control of brightness and control FWHM. Last two functions allow to select or reject files and set threshold. Other functions could be locked. Do you think such selective locking could be done in software update that you plan to do? This modification is important, otherwise live stacking and sequencer combination is not so useful.
2. Let's say I run sequencer in still mode (I have never done it), will it show every frame as stretched?
3. Most important question is about autofocus, which failed on me today at night. Autofocus should have specific exposure and gain. Deep Sky Sequence planner has it. I run it and it was perfect. When I used autofocus step in Sequence Editor, it did not work. It seem exposure and gain were from frame exposures (that are: exposure long and gain low). How do you do autofocus in Sequence Editor?
4. My filter wheel show position s 1, 2, 3 etc. Are there way to rename 1 into B, 1 into G, etc.?

Thanks a lot!

All the best!

Ana
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Ana,

I added a new step that allows you to unlock the controls for all or part of a sequence - see viewtopic.php?t=5819 . Do be aware that it lets you change any camera controls and any live stacking controls, so you can easily break things by changing the wrong controls.

Still mode will process the frames for display just as happens in live mode, so if you have set a display stretch (for instance) the image on screen will be stretched, but the saved images will not. Live stacking works exactly as in live mode - it will request frames to be taken repeatedly, except when dithering or paused.

The sequence planner builds a sequence based on your choices and you can look at what it has built using the 'Advanced Edit' button. If you look what hapens during focus, you can see that it will set a higher gain and shorter exposure, do the focus, then restore the capture settings for gain and exposure. You can copy this pattern into your own sequence or attack the problem another way (for instance capture profiles for 'focus', 'capture', 'live stack', etc)

cheers,

Robin
Ana

Post by Ana »

Hi Robin,

I have problem with autofocus in Edit.
Here is my sequence
1. Pause Stacking
2. Move filter in position 3
3. Set exposure 5 sec
4. Set Gain 500
5. Autofocus from offset 90 to 90 with 12 steps backlash 0 (I have very good focuser - MoonLite)
6. Set exposure 30s
7. Set Gain 121
8. Resume Live Stacking

1-4 steps were done fine, then it stepped 90 in positive direction (from 1510 to 1600) and start to move in negative direction in increment of just 1 step. Made 12 steps and sequence stop to work. Why is only increment 1 step. It should be 180/12=15 Right? Please look my sequence is it OK?

Thanks

All the best!

Ana

P.S. I think I know problem! It should be from -90 to 90. Not 90 to 90.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Ana,

yes, you are correct it should be -90 to 90, otherwise you are basically saying 'find the best focus between current position +90 and current position +90'.

cheers,

Robin
Ana

Post by Ana »

I still struggling with automation.
I have switched to NINA and it works fine. However, NINA does not have some options of SharpCap; especially, live stacking.
Why couldn't we software that combine all these features?