NGC 281 Pacman Nebula in SHO and OHS

A place to share images that you have taken with SharpCap.
Forum rules
Please upload large images to photo sharing sites (flickr, etc) rather than trying to upload them as forum attachments.

Please share the equipment used and if possible camera settings to help others.
Menno555

NGC 281 Pacman Nebula in SHO and OHS

Post by Menno555 »

NGC 281 Pacman Nebula.
I have a Zwo ASI071MC Pro camera and with it, narrowband in Ha and OIII can be rather easily captured with dualband filters, in this case the Optolong L-eXtreme. Capturing SII is another story though: it's possible but since only the red channel has real useable data in it, you have to capture more/longer in comparison to a mono camera. This of course is not stopping me :P

First image is in SHO Hubble Palette. It's my second real go at this, so I'm pleased with the result :)

But I always "play" with the data I have and in this topic by Tim, there were some cool examples of that plus an URL to a site with all kind of combinations.
I took that a step further and came to a OHS version on which I applied the same methode of getting a Hubble Palette.
This gave the second image where the SII shows very clearly as Blue and OIII =orange/yellow and Ha = green/blue. I rather like the effect :D

SHO Hubble Palette

OHS "Menno" Palette ;)

Bortle 6/7
Meade LX200 8" f/10 ACF OTA
Ioptron CEM25EC mount (no guiding)
Optolong L-eXtreme filter
Optolong SII 6,5nm filter
Zwo ASI071MC Pro camera
Optec Lepus Standard 0.62x reducer (0.73x effective)

Captured with SharpCap Pro @ -10 Celsius / White balance R50 B50
L-eXtreme: 34 x 300sec / Gain 0 / Offset 4
SII f/6,2 : 17 x 600sec / Gain 90/ Offset 4
20 x darks, 50 x flats and 50 x darkflats per stack

Menno
timh

Re: NGC 281 Pacman Nebula in SHO and OHS

Post by timh »

Hi Menno,

I'd say that worked pretty well. 3h is not a massively long time - I am guessing that the reducer probably helped a bit?

Tim
Menno555

Re: NGC 281 Pacman Nebula in SHO and OHS

Post by Menno555 »

Hi Tim

Yes, the reducer helps indeed. And no, 3 hours is not a lot but with a mono camera it would have been (a lot) better in this case :)

Menno