Orion G10 Questions

ScottD

Orion G10 Questions

Post by ScottD »

Hello,

I recently purchased the Starshoot G10 from Orion, because my QHY294C is in China for repairs....indefinitely! When I had my QHY and once upon a time a ZWO, they both displayed an option to adjust the offset in Sharpcap. I do not see that option for this camera. Is it a camera issue or is it a compatibility issue? I also don't see any of the color adjustments. Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks so much!

Scott
admin
Site Admin

Re: Orion G10 Questions

Post by admin »

Hi Scott,

it depends on which driver you are using to access your Orion camera. SharpCap does not have a direct driver for the Orion cameras (as it does for QHY, ZWO, Altair, etc), so you will either be using ASCOM or DirectShow

If it's ASCOM then the setting is probably available in the 'Show Properties' settings window for the camera. ASCOM doesn't allow for direct control over this setting, so SharpCap cannot show it in the main UI.

If it's DirectShow then it might be in the 'Pin Properties' or 'Filter Properties' - again not something that can be set directly from SharpCap using standard DirectShow.

There should be an upcoming new version of the Orion DirectShow driver that gives improved functionality in SharpCap, but it doesn't seem to be on the Orion site yet. I have a sample version of it dated October 2022, but maybe it is not ready for release yet. Once that is released (and you have a compatible recent version of SharpCap 4) then you should see improvements in the DirectShow side, including seeing the correct camera name, access to additional controls like black level and more.

cheers,

Robin
ScottD

Post by ScottD »

Hi Robin,

I am using the ASCOM driver. The Direct Show has limited capabilities. There is a setting within the camera driver that allows me to set the black level, which I guess is the offset. Everything else seems to be working as it should.

Thank you for your time and advice.

Scott
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Scott,

yes, black level and offset are the same thing, just different words used by different manufacturers. Just to add to the fun, ZWO label it as 'brightness' :)

cheers,

Robin