Imaging Changes

Discussion of using SharpCap for Deep Sky Imaging
admin
Site Admin

Re: Imaging Changes

Post by admin »

Hi Rod,

Thanks for taking the time to capture and share the frames :)

I think the biggest issue there is that the images are very faint - without applying a stretch it is only really possible to see the one brightest star by eye (you can spot a few more if you zoom in and scroll around carefully). In fact, unless I use the option to apply the display stretch parameters during star detection, I struggle to reach the 18 detected stars that you see in the in focus frames. Ideally, somewhat longer exposures would bring more signal from the stars, a better signal to noise ratio and would make star detection work better.

Setting that aside, I do see the same pattern as you - that is that more stars are detected in the slightly out-of-focus frames than in the in-focus ones. I need to dig into that a bit more to see if I can work out why and if it is anything that causes concern in terms of the accuracy of focus.

cheers,

Robin
DirtyRod

Re: Imaging Changes

Post by DirtyRod »

Understood on the exposures. These were done with a NB filter so there are far less stars than with a basic IR cut filter. Generally without NB I’ll have 75-200 stars but I always have to use the auto stretch to get good results as you mentioned. My exposures are usually 4 seconds so that I can keep the the autofocus process to just a few mins every hour. If I need to go longer I can but just wasn’t sure if the star counts were just not something to worry about.

Thanks for taking the time to look.