New Multi Reticle Feature

Got an idea for something that SharpCap should do? Share it here.
Forum rules
'+1' posts are welcome in this area of the forums to indicate your support for a particular feature suggestion. Suggestions that get the most +1's will be seriously considered for inclusion in future versions of SharpCap.
rac19

Re: New Multi Reticle Feature

Post by rac19 »

Thanks Robin,

I guess I didn't find the very latest release.

I really appreciate this feature, it's very useful. Thanks for providing it.

Best regards,
Richard
rac19

Post by rac19 »

I had a crash with this version when I connected to a camera without the scope connected. Once the scope was connected, there was no problem. The first two logs attached were without the scope connected, the last was with the scope connected, through CPWI.

I also tested with two cameras with very different resolutions and different aspect ratios. The reticule appears to have been scaled for each axis based on the number of sensor pixels on each axis. One option to consider could be to maintain a set of saved reticule positions per camera type, as I think is already done with exposure etc. For me it's not really problem, I would probably just use a different reticule for each camera type, if an issue arose.

Best regards,
Richard
Attachments
Log_2022-12-07T11_32_29-4980.log
(41.95 KiB) Downloaded 21 times
Log_2022-12-07T11_33_20-5512.log
(41.93 KiB) Downloaded 24 times
Log_2022-12-07T11_37_10-11280.log
(102.82 KiB) Downloaded 19 times
Reticule0.jpg
Reticule0.jpg (102.86 KiB) Viewed 410 times
SteveInNZ

Post by SteveInNZ »

I like the new reticle feature, but I'd really like to lock the reticle as you've implemented as "circle" in the main reticle drop down.
That option allows me to rotate the crosshair to match RA/Dec for drift alignment or to set the centre and circle diameter to match the main scope FoV or for collimation. If I could lock that, I can Alt-Tab between finder and imaging scope instances of SharpCap without fear of loosing the position.

In the multi-reticle function, there's only Circles available. Will that change ?

Steve.
rac19

Post by rac19 »

SteveInNZ wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 8:11 am I like the new reticle feature, but I'd really like to lock the reticle as you've implemented as "circle" in the main reticle drop down.
That option allows me to rotate the crosshair to match RA/Dec for drift alignment or to set the centre and circle diameter to match the main scope FoV or for collimation. If I could lock that, I can Alt-Tab between finder and imaging scope instances of SharpCap without fear of loosing the position.

In the multi-reticle function, there's only Circles available. Will that change ?

Steve.
This sounds like the example of Dave's Crosshairs that I provided (Dec 04, 2022 10:48 am) for Robin to consider. He asked at the time if there were any other features that would interest me. I didn't think so, but it sounds like you would like to have the rotation feature :D.

A major improvement over Dave's Crosshairs (so far) is the reticule references sensor pixels, not screen pixels.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Steve,

the locking is really part of the code for the multi-reticule - there isn't really a good place in the user interface to add locking for the normal reticules.

Right now, multi-reticule is circles and lines (the lines have bisection points), but I don't see why there couldn't be more options and a dropdown for each to allow you to choose the type rather than having it pre-defined. Let me think about it a bit.

cheers,

Robin
rac19

Post by rac19 »

Hi Robin,

Just to let yet know that I have used reticule locking as a marker on my finder 'scope to align the main 'scope quite a number of times now and it works very well, perfectly in fact. This is just one use case for this feature, I know, but I find it to be very useful.

Best regards,
Richard