Planetary imaging with sharpcap

Discussions of using SharpCap for Planetary Imaging
Lee Housden

Planetary imaging with sharpcap

Post by Lee Housden »

So I need some advice I’m quite familiar with sharpcap for deep sky imaging but I’m having a go at planetary but have an issue I would like advise on so when shooting in raw Jupiter is very green is not a problem in processing but I want my live view to look more natural to help with focus and I want to start using adc but if the image is green on the screen how can I adjust for fringing as I can only see green all over I no how to adjust this colour in live stack but don’t no how to do this in live view on a planet any advice would be appreciated
Buckrogers

Re: Planetary imaging with sharpcap

Post by Buckrogers »

When doing planetary imaging, make sure your debayer setting is turned off.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

not sure that debayer off will help here - that will just get you a mono image with no idea of what colour is where.

A couple of options

1) Use the colour balance controls for your camera while adjusting the ADC and then reset while capturing. If your camera does not show colour balance controls in RAW mode, try putting it in RGB mode (again, go back to RAW before capture)

2) Consider a purple/magenta (for example Wrattan #32) filter, which will cut out a significant chunk of the green light and should leave the red/blue.

cheers,

Robin
Lee Housden

Post by Lee Housden »

Ok I will give it a try robin thanks
DrBobAZ

Post by DrBobAZ »

I've had great success with getting natural color for planets by adjusting wbr and wbb. The idea is to pull up the histogram, and adjust the red and blue so they and the green overlap to the best of your ability. For the asi294mc I have to increase the blue into the 90's and the red into the 70's. YMMV, just adjust like your camera would like to operate with RGB overlapping.

Bob