178m Time-Lapse setup ...

Somewhere to ask questions about the best way to use SharpCap
Forum rules

If you have a problem or question, please check the FAQ to see if it already has an answer : https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap-faqs
sharpcapt

178m Time-Lapse setup ...

Post by sharpcapt »

Hi
I am testing.

I was trying to set the program for time-lapse, but I guess I am too thick!

So, I opted for Still mode as I also did not manage (yet) to work out the Sequencer as well.
I am using the Deep Sky Sequence Planner, it does work fine but when I got there I found that (understandably) the 'Capture in' is preset to 14 bit.

I need to have the image Hor/Vert inverted and it can only be used in 8 bit mode - in the general sequencer setup as well, I could not add the Mono 8 and hor/vert ... (I think)!

So, I am now stuck and I cannot do that too and avoid all images to be hor/vert re-oriented...

In all truth 'all' I wish to do is:

1. Time lapse
2. set it to take (example) 10s shots
3. have an interval of lets says 3 minutes
4. run it for lets say 4 hours or set number of shots - whichever is easier or achievable

How do I achieve Time-Lapse?

I guess one sets up as LIVE video and then set the exposures/times/interval, but I cannot grasp it.

Gosh I am getting older and will retire in a few years - that older already - time passed by!!

Thank you for any 1,2,3,4,5 explanation a-la-idiot, please.

Mauro

PS Yes, I am sporadically on/off astronomy and one can lose exercising it, but I cannot believe I cannot do it.
sharpcapt

Re: 178m Time-Lapse setup ...

Post by sharpcapt »

... I now just noticed the Advance edit button which takes me to the full sequencer setup and already pre-set and I can see I can choose 8 bit.

I still do not see in the sequencer, PAUSE time and set Hor/Vert of the image.

I am still thick but I now see the WAIT command in the Miscellaneous tab - thanks to the advance edit ...

🤣🤣🤣
sharpcapt

Post by sharpcapt »

I finally got it.

Still playing with it.

I guess one has to get into Robin';s mind - of course we all think differently.

Thank you for this great program or application, as the new Century wish to call it!
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

sorry, I saw your inital post and then must have been distracted as I never wrote a reply.

The way I would set this up is to set the exposure initially to 10s, then press 'Start Capture' and choose

* Single Frame
* Tick the box for performing a simple sequence
* Set a length - say 80 repeats, which is 4 hours at 1 every 3 minutes
* Set a delay between captures of 00:03:00

This will capture a 10s frame roughly every 3 minutes for 4 hours. I say rougly, because with the camera in live mode, the frames run continuously and SharpCap doesn't control when each one starts exactly. Each time it wants a new frame, it will capture the next to arrive, which might have just started (and therefore taken nearly 10s to finish) or might be nearly finished anyway.

Alternatively (there's almost always more than one way to do things...) You could set the frame rate limit (right hand controls) to 1 every 3 minutes and the exposure to 10s. The camera will take 10s exposures, but only update the display every 3 minutes. You can either capture a set of still images or even an AVI or SER file - only one frame will be added every 3 minutes.

Hope this helps,

Robin