Canon DSLR

woldsweather

Canon DSLR

Post by woldsweather »

I have my Canon 6D M k2 connected to my laptop and Sharpcap open. I have selected EOS Utility. I have the image from the DSLR showing in Sharpcap. The camera is set on B. However in camera controls I dont see anywhere to set exposure etc. Is there something else I need to do?
admin
Site Admin

Re: Canon DSLR

Post by admin »

Hi,

I don't think the EOS Webcam utility gives you any control over the camera from the PC side. I just tested with my 700D and it seems to just put the DLSR into video mode and auto everything and that's it. I couldn't even seem to adjust anything on the camera side either, although maybe things that you set up before opening the camera take effect.

I don't think you can do a great deal with it beyond use it as a webcam - you might just be able to do a bit of lunar imaging.

The ASCOM.DSLR driver is a slightly better approach for using a DSLR for long exposure imaging in SharpCap. I say slightly better because it can be pretty unreliable and seems to be no longer supported or updated, so that is very much an option for those who are either brave or enjoy getting things to work by trial-and-error!

cheers,

Robin
woldsweather

Post by woldsweather »

OK thanks Robin
woldsweather

Post by woldsweather »

...and no other way of connecting a DSLR to Sharpcap?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

Aside from the two we have just discussed, the only other approach is to let another application (say APT) control the camera and save images to file, then use the SharpCap folder monitor camera to read them as they are captured. However, that has its own pitfalls, since I think APT will save in CR2 or CR3 format, which SharpCap cannot read. Some people have put together custom scripts to read CR2/CR3 files from one folder and convert them to FITS in another for SharpCap to read, but this is not a simple approach.

cheers,

Robin