Green appears brown in live view

rrbailey89

Green appears brown in live view

Post by rrbailey89 »

Good Day All,

I received my ASI533MC-Pro today along with my new refractors. I was testing out the backfocus etc. in the back yard during the daytime to ensure that I have everything lined up and ready for the night. I noticed that the live view of Sharpcap was not rendering the leaves of trees the correct color, what should have been a vibrant green was showing as a muted brown. Are there any settings that I may have improperly set or overlooked that would have this effect? The day sky was the perfect shade or blue, but the color of the leaves on the trees were brown as opposed to green.
admin
Site Admin

Re: Green appears brown in live view

Post by admin »

Hi,

the ZWO cameras have two colour balance sliders in the controls to adjust the relative brightness of the blue and red channels. The 'neutral' setting for these is to set both to 50, but that does not always give a correct daylight colour balance, as many cameras have different sensitivities for different colours. It would be worth having a play with those.

Another thing that can cause strange colours is if there is no infra-red blocking filter (usually for a colour camera the sensor window is an IR block filter). If there is no block filter then the red channel of the camera will pick up IR light, which can lead to the sort of brown you are describing. An easy way to test is to use the camera to look at a TV remote - if you see the infra red LED on the remote in the camera image when you press a remote button then you have no IR blocking filter.

Hope this helps,

Robin