New images with ASI294MC-Pro

A place to share images that you have taken with SharpCap.
Forum rules
Please upload large images to photo sharing sites (flickr, etc) rather than trying to upload them as forum attachments.

Please share the equipment used and if possible camera settings to help others.
calan

New images with ASI294MC-Pro

Post by calan »

Picked up an ASI294MC-Pro, and still learning it's quirks...but I've managed to get a few DS images with it that I can live with.

Public FB album, so they are compressed somewhat, to whatever it is that FB does to them. I'll get them uploaded to a proper server at some point.

Suburban Oklahoma city... green to yellow skies, on an elevated deck. It is what it is. :)

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 229&type=3

Lots and lots on the to-do list, and several of those ^ that I want to revisit again under better conditions with more time (especially the Elephant trunk area. That one was really noisy and I had to process it more than I wanted to make it at least viewable).
Last edited by calan on Fri Sep 09, 2022 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
admin
Site Admin

Re: New images with ASI240MC-Pro

Post by admin »

Hi,

some lovely images there, especially given the difficulty of your observing location :)

cheers

Robin
calan

Re: New images with ASI294MC-Pro

Post by calan »

Thanks Robin. Couldn't do it without SC. ;)
Last edited by calan on Fri Sep 09, 2022 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
timh

Post by timh »

Loads of good images there. Seems a bit churlish to offer you only one like for the whole set :-). Particularly like the Triffid and the Lagoon - partly out of jealousy because they are far too low in the sky to image well (or in fact at all because of blocking houses and trees) from here.
Tim
calan

Post by calan »

Thanks Tim. :)

I'm fighting with a weird issue where one side of my image is brighter than the other. I've tried about everything I can think of, and not sure what is causing it. Flats are offset some also, but not as much as in lights. Not sure if it's some strange light leakage, camera sag, or what.

So anyway, it takes a little more processing in PI than I'd like to make them viewable.
timh

Post by timh »

I think that is common with lots of light around - as in my Bortle 6 skies. As you no doubt have found DBE is the tool of choice in the PI toolkit. ABE often overdoes it whereas with DBE you can just pick a few points as a first pass. Tim
calan

Post by calan »

timh wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 8:43 am I think that is common with lots of light around - as in my Bortle 6 skies
The vignetting in my flats is also shifted to one side, so I think I have an alignment problem with my focuser tube, or the secondary offset isn't quite right.

I'm going to swap out the cheap stock focuser for a Moonlight CR in a week or two (hopefully), and I'll do a full tear down and realignment of everything then. Hopefully that will fix it.
timh wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 8:43 am IAs you no doubt have found DBE is the tool of choice in the PI toolkit. ABE often overdoes it whereas with DBE you can just pick a few points as a first pass.
Yeah, I get hit and miss results with both, but DBE usually works. Every now and then I get really weird rainbow effects that I can't dial out no matter what. I've tried splitting and fitting color channels, running it on the background only (everything removed with Starnet2), etc. Can't find a repeatable cause of it.

I also just recently started playing with SC's background removal postprocessing tool, but only know enough so far to be dangerous. :)
ChrisR Oz

Post by ChrisR Oz »

Hi Calan,

I assume this is a misprint and you are imaging with a full-field ASI2400MC Pro. Very exciting…
Cheers, Chris.
Celestron EdgeHD 8, reducer 0.7x, Star Sense, CGX-L mount, Focuser, CPWI; Starlight Xpress AO, OAG and Filter Wheel; ZWO 294MC/294MM Pro and 174MM mini; SharpCap Pro, PHD2, Televue Powermate 2x, Baader Neodymium, Astronomik CLS-CCD, ZWO UV/IR, Duo filters
calan

Post by calan »

ChrisR Oz wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 8:18 am Hi Calan,

I assume this is a misprint and you are imaging with a full-field ASI2400MC Pro. Very exciting…
Cheers, Chris.
Oops. It is a misprint, but it's an ASI294MC-Pro. I fixed the ones I can.

Thanks for the catch