My first Jupiter

A place to share images that you have taken with SharpCap.
Forum rules
Please upload large images to photo sharing sites (flickr, etc) rather than trying to upload them as forum attachments.

Please share the equipment used and if possible camera settings to help others.
Menno555

My first Jupiter

Post by Menno555 »

At the moment Jupiter is nice and high here but from my location is hard to capture. It appears behind a roof and then I have a windows of around 20 minutes before it disappears behind a wall. Plus a lot of clouds the last weeks.
But finally clear a few days back at 4 in the morning and had my first go at Jupiter with my Meade LX200 8" f/10 ACF SCT :D

First with the Zwo ASI071MC Pro. And I was surprised with the result. Also because I could get it real sharp first on a focus star with a Bahtinov mask. And it was that good, that I could make it at 200% size in Photoshop. The moons Ganymede, Io and Europa are visible too.
5500 x 30ms / Gain 170 / Offset 4, stacked in PlanetarySystemStacker where I used the best 5%.
Jupiter-071MC.jpg
Jupiter-071MC.jpg (17.12 KiB) Viewed 528 times

After that a quick swap to my Zwo ASI482MC with a TeleVue PowerMate 4x. This was pure a first light test with that combination. I had to focus on sight because I didn't have enough time to find a focus star in the very narrow FOV of that combination. The result is just average but still, I know now that with the good preparation and good sky, I can get a lot sharper/better results :)
5800 x 11,5ms / Gain 400 / Offset 4, stacked in PlanetarySystemStacker where I used the best 5%.
Jupiter-482MC-4x.jpg
Jupiter-482MC-4x.jpg (61.21 KiB) Viewed 528 times
Menno
admin
Site Admin

Re: My first Jupiter

Post by admin »

Hi Menno,

nice images for a first try (and given that you only have a very short time to get everything set up and captured!)

cheers,

Robin
timh

Post by timh »

Very nice Menno, encouragingly good for a first effort and especially with the Barlow too. Did you get there purely by stacking the best 5% of frames or has it been wavelet sharpened too?

Tim
Menno555

Post by Menno555 »

admin wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 12:29 pm Hi Menno,

nice images for a first try (and given that you only have a very short time to get everything set up and captured!)

cheers,
Robin
Thanks Robin. I hoped this week for some clear skies but I doubt that. Want to be fully prepared then (especially focus) with the 482 and PowerMate. Fingers crossed :)
timh wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 3:52 pm Very nice Menno, encouragingly good for a first effort and especially with the Barlow too. Did you get there purely by stacking the best 5% of frames or has it been wavelet sharpened too?

Tim
Thanks Tim!
And forget to mention the processing indeed. For both I did use Photoshop. Sharpened with the tools inside the RAW Filter, white balance correction and color enhancement.
But encouraging is indeed the right phrase :)

Menno