When to turn on RA tracking during PA

Using SharpCap's Polar Alignment feature
Snipepod

When to turn on RA tracking during PA

Post by Snipepod »

Equipment Star Adventurer 2i, Nikon D750, Nikor 500m Refex, ZWO ASI120 tracking camera.

Question#1. When using SharpCap Polar alignment, when is the appropriate time to turn on the Star Adventurer 2i Astro Tracking. Before I start the SharpCap PA, or immediately after?

Question #2. How much time do I have to make the wedge adjustments to get a good-to-excellent from SharpCap?

Question#3. I have the ZWO ASI120 attached to a small NOGA Machinist dial indicator holder. Great for aiming. When doing a PA, should I position the ZWO/NOGA close to the RA axis of the Star Adventurer 2i, or can it be positioned further out from the axis? I have the ability with the NOGA to move it out 15-20 inches or half a meter
admin
Site Admin

Re: When to turn on RA tracking during PA

Post by admin »

Hi,

for the polar alignment, it doesn't really matter whether the mount is tracking or not - you are looking at stars so close to the pole and only using exposures of a few seonds, so things hardly move even if not tracking.

Again on the timing, there is no significant limit - probably best to do it in less than 15 minutes or so, but you don't need to worry below that.

Finally, if you mean that the camera is located away from the axis but still roughly parallel to it then in theory it doesn't matter. Placing it so that it is non-parallel to the axis by more than a few degrees will cause problems. Note that in practice, since any flex between the mount and camera can cause incorrect readings, it's best to arrange so that everything is as tightly connected and as close together as possible.

hope this helps,

Robin
Snipepod

Re: When to turn on RA tracking during PA

Post by Snipepod »

That helps.

I usually do PA with tracking turned off.

And yes, the ZWO is parallel to the axis of the Starventurer polar axis.

I also didn't think it mattered because the speed of the stars around the poles is so slow.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.