Plate solve and GoTo

Discussions on extending SharpCap using the built in Python scripting functionality
DirtyRod

Plate solve and GoTo

Post by DirtyRod »

Hello,

I’ve been trying to add a platesolve and GoTo to my script so I can do a meridian flip. I’m using CPWI and All Sky Plate Solver with several Celestron mounts and cameras and I’ve configured Sharpcap to get the location from CPWI.

I can successfully solve for the image both in Sharpcap and using ASPA and, when I click the Plate Solve button in Sharpcap, the image syncs and re-centers. If I press the button or issue the Platesolve and GoTo command in the sequencer when the target is past the meridian I assumed it would perform a meridian flip and recenter the target but it does not. Even if the target is way past the meridian it does not flip whereas if I had done a GoTo in CPWI it does flip. No matter how far past the meridian the target is it just recenters.

What is interesting is that after I use the button or issue the platesolve command in the sequencer, CWPI will no longer do a meridian flip either. It acts like the mount and/or CPWI no longer knows where it is. When I tell the mount to go home or any coordinates it goes off in some random direction where everything was working fine before issuing the command.

Looking for suggestions on what I misconfigured.
admin
Site Admin

Re: Plate solve and GoTo

Post by admin »

Hi,

I wonder if it is the 'sync' past the meridian that is messing things up? I would have assumed, like you, that sending a Slew command to the mount for co-ordinates on the other side of the meridian would cause it to do a flip. I have a horrible feeling that this is going to be one of those things where the behaviour of the system is going to depend on the choices made by the developers of the ASCOM driver, so that different hardware may have different behaviour...

One thing to try would be to perform a straight Slew to the target co-ordinates after crossing the meridian. If that doesn't work, try a slew to back across the meridian to the east side and then back to the target. If you can get it to go to the target on the west side then you can do a plate solve/sync there, which will be much more effective than performing the solve on the 'wrong' side of the meridian followed by a long goto movement anyway.

cheers,

Robin
DirtyRod

Post by DirtyRod »

Robin,

I can try that tonight or tomorrow and see how that works. Unfortunately, that kind of defeats the purpose of what I was trying to do.

When I first slew to a target, I generally have to move the scope to get the correct framing. That means if I perform a GoTo for the meridian flip the target will most likely not be centered the way it was before the flip. Doing a platesolve prior to the flip was my way of ensuring the target was properly framed after the flip.

Any ideas on the confused mount situation after the platesolve? After I issue any platesolve command no GoTo's are accurate. Last night I was testing and told the mount to go Home and had to run for the power button before the camera and scope hit the legs. To get the mount to slew correctly after a platesolve I always have to power cycle the mount and do a new alignment.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

the problem with plate solving before the flip is that there is a very large slew that should happen to move the mount round to the other side of the pier. Any inaccuracies in the mount, polar alignment or any cone error will mean that the place that you end up will not be where you expect. Ideally you would plate solve before, store the co-ordinates, flip, plate solve again and then return to the stored co-ordinates, but I don't think that is possible with the sequencer just yet.

It does sound like your ASCOM driver is reacting badly to being sent the 'Sync' command after plate solving. You can look in the ASCOM driver settings for anything related to sync or pointing models and see if changing that helps. You could also try changing the action that SharpCap takes from 'sync and recenter' to 'offset goto' in the plate solving settings.

cheers,

Robin
DirtyRod

Post by DirtyRod »

Thanks. I will look and see what I can find in ASCOM. I'm using CPWI so I don't know that there are many settings related to this that I can change.

I did do some Go-To commands from Sharpcap before the plate solve and they worked just fine. I then issued a platesolve commend and tried the same GoTo and the mount went haywire so I assume it's like you said and the Sync blows something up.

I guess I will keep staying up and manually flipping until I figure something out.

Thanks.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

hope that you find a solution for the sync problem as it is otherwise tricky to get useful results from plate solving.

I made some additions to the sequencer yesterday based on your experiences - two new steps that can save the current co-ordinates during a sequence (one saves from the mount directly, the other from plate solving) and a new step to GOTO the saved co-ordinates. I think those should help with the meridian flip sequencing. I will also try to add a step that forces a flip if I can work out how.

cheers,

Robin
DirtyRod

Post by DirtyRod »

That is fantastic. The flip is the last thing I need to automate so definitely looking forward to trying this out.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

just to give an update - with this week's update (due tomorrow) there will be a new step that will perform the physical meridian flip of the mount, along with the steps mentioned above to save/restore position. I will then be thinking about a more complex sequencer step that will do all the necessary processing for the whole flip procedure (stop/restart guiding, plate solve after flip, etc).

cheers,

Robin