Flat Frame Not Applied to Live Stack

A place to report problems and bugs in SharpCap
Forum rules

If you have a problem or question, please check the FAQ to see if it already has an answer : https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap-faqs

Please also read about Troubleshooting USB Issues before posting.

*** Please do not post license keys - please report any problems with licensing to 'admin' by private message ***

Please include the following details in any bug report:

* Version of SharpCap
* Camera and other hardware being user
* Operating system version
* Contents of the SharpCap log after the problem has occurred.
[If SharpCap crashes, please send the bug report when prompted instead of including the log]
jsawaski

Flat Frame Not Applied to Live Stack

Post by jsawaski »

While using Version 3.1.5059 tonight I believe that my flat frame was not being applied to Live Stack. However, the flat frame appeared to be correctly applied during a live view.

I determined this because there was a rather prominent dust donut on the lower left. In live if I selected and deselected the flat frame the donut would disappear and reappear. But during the Live Stack the donut was there no matter what I did with the flat frame.
admin
Site Admin

Re: Flat Frame Not Applied to Live Stack

Post by admin »

Yes, that looks like it's a bug - I will investigate and fix.

thanks for the report.

Robin
jsawaski

Post by jsawaski »

I tested back to version 3.1.5027 and found the problem was present even then.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

yes, having a look at the code I think the case where the camera is taking RAW images and you are using flats is not handled in live stacking. MONO or RGB modes from the camera will be fine I think.

Can see a couple of ways of fixing, but not sure which is the best yet.

cheers,

Robin
jsawaski

Post by jsawaski »

Yes, MONO and RGB both have the flat applied.

Thank you for the work around. Until the fix is available I will use RGB for EAA.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

please have a look at this build

https://d.sharpcap.co.uk/download.html? ... 3.1.5076.0

It should solve your issue with flat frames. I have had to make bigger changes to the code than I would like at this stage of a release, so while I have tested the new code myself, I'd advise testing on terrestrial images if you can before testing on a clear night - you can live stack non astro images if you turn off the alignment.

cheers,

Robin
balliamo1

Post by balliamo1 »

I still have issues with live stack and flat frames also with latest build 3.1.5092, and QHY163 camera.
With my altaz mount I have large field rotation which is well compensated during the live stack process; unfortunately, also the flat frame is rotating, as visible in the attached foto, mode 16 bit bin 2x2.
the result is an incorrect flat frame application with residual gradient and dust visible in the stack.

the problem is not there with normal video capture, but only livestack.
Can you help?
Attachments
Stack_32bits_880frames_878s.jpg
Stack_32bits_880frames_878s.jpg (121.25 KiB) Viewed 3117 times
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

can you share a raw frame of the target and the flat frame for me to test with - also a dark frame if you were using darks. The files will be too big to upload here, so probably best to upload to somewhere like dropbox and then send me the download link.

thanks,

Robin
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

I can't make this happen in my testing, but I do have a question - were you using sigma clipping in the stacking?

The reason for the question is this - it looks like you may have a flat that is overcorrecting giving bright spots to the top right of the image. If that's happening then those bright areas will become the accepted mean value for the stack in that region. As the field rotates other areas of the frame which are not over-corrected by the flat will come into that area but will be rejected as being too different from the existing values.

If you were using Sigma clipping then maybe have a go with default stacking to see if that helps.

cheers,

Robin