Canon 650d Live View issue

A place to report problems and bugs in SharpCap
Forum rules

If you have a problem or question, please check the FAQ to see if it already has an answer : https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap-faqs

Please also read about Troubleshooting USB Issues before posting.

*** Please do not post license keys - please report any problems with licensing to 'admin' by private message ***

Please include the following details in any bug report:

* Version of SharpCap
* Camera and other hardware being user
* Operating system version
* Contents of the SharpCap log after the problem has occurred.
[If SharpCap crashes, please send the bug report when prompted instead of including the log]
ASKC

Canon 650d Live View issue

Post by ASKC »

Hello to all!

I am experiencing an issue when connecting my Canon 650d (T4i) to Sharpcap. I have the latest version of Sharpcap and have the Ascom drivers for DSLR. Sharpcap will connect to the camera, but the Live View function does not operate properly.

Instead of opening a live video feed, Sharpcap is instructing the camera to take individual exposures much like the Live Stacking tab would do. Except for the fact that I have no control over the exposure length, ISO or any other settings. The only things that work are to either turn Live View back off or disconnect the camera.

I am hopeful that someone else has experienced this same issue and has a potention fix.
Looking forward to your replies.
Chris
admin
Site Admin

Re: Canon 650d Live View issue

Post by admin »

Hi Chris,

that is expected behaviour when using SharpCap's 'Live View' mode - in that mode SharpCap instructs the camera to take images repeatedly (it's not the same as the Canon camera live view mode, in spite of the same name).

In general, you should use cameras with a physical shutter in SharpCap in still mode so that you take images only when desired. You *may* be able to enable the camera live view mode by entering the settings window of the ASCOM driver - I seem to recall there being an option for that in the settings.

The options that you get to adjust the camera settings may depend on the position of the camera mode dial - for instance if you have the camera in 'M' you may get more control.

cheers,

Robin