Polar alignment with EQ platform

Using SharpCap's Polar Alignment feature
greggles91

Polar alignment with EQ platform

Post by greggles91 »

OK, Wow, why did i wait so long to get a pro license to try out polar alignment for my eq platform!

So i've never been very happy with my 10" dobsonian eq platform tracking for astrophotgraphy (visual its great) and i spend way too long using the drift alignment method and allways seem to have some sort of small drift. Well today i tried the sharpcap polar alignement tool with the reduced rotation mode and it worked a treat. Completed the polar alignment four or five times untill the adjustments where minimal. Yes, the resuts did vary a bit between runs but overall it lined me up quite well.

Generally i have kept my exposures to 10 seconds with anything longer showing elongated stars due to drift and today i was able to get 25 second exposures quite consistantly. I was very supprised!

As allways there is a catch for me. i cant see the south pole from my backyard/viewing position so had to do this test under the verander. However i have learnt my platform is pointing too low. lucky i have a digital level and measure that its out by 0.85 degrees. doesnt sound like much but looking at my bubble level it needs to be significantly off centre when aligned. I can easily sort this out now in my normal viewing location.

Anyway, im rambling. Big thank you for getting this feature working with reduced rotation.
admin
Site Admin

Re: Polar alignment with EQ platform

Post by admin »

Hi,

thanks for taking the time to report success - it's nice to see that sort of post as so often it's only the people with problems who take the time to post here on the forums :)

Glad that the PA routine is having a real effect and allowing you to improve your imaging!

clear skies :)

Robin