SharpCap 4.0 - Low FPS

A place to report problems and bugs in SharpCap
Forum rules

If you have a problem or question, please check the FAQ to see if it already has an answer : https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap-faqs

Please also read about Troubleshooting USB Issues before posting.

*** Please do not post license keys - please report any problems with licensing to 'admin' by private message ***

Please include the following details in any bug report:

* Version of SharpCap
* Camera and other hardware being user
* Operating system version
* Contents of the SharpCap log after the problem has occurred.
[If SharpCap crashes, please send the bug report when prompted instead of including the log]
Gordon

SharpCap 4.0 - Low FPS

Post by Gordon »

Hi all,

I've been using my ALTAIR290M3 with version 3.2 and getting high FPS and it uses the USB3 quite happily. I've downloaded version 4 and the camera goes straight to USB2 with FPS of single figures or just over 10. I used both versions today in the same session, I ended up just using version 3.2.

I've hopefully attached the log to see if there are any clues within.

Cheers

Gordon
Attachments
Log_2022-08-09T10_49_12-10964.log
(57.85 KiB) Downloaded 15 times
admin
Site Admin

Re: SharpCap 4.0 - Low FPS

Post by admin »

Hi,

the fact that 'USB2.0' is showing up in the camera name means that the Altair SDK thinks the camera is only connected over 2.0. It would be a good idea to check your USB cable and the port you are using as I haven't seen this flag things as USB2 incorrectly before in cases where there is a good connection.

Even over USB2 I think you should get more than 10fps, so there are a number of things to check that might slow you down...

* what is the exposure set to? An exposure of 100ms will limit fps to 10fps
* Have you set MONO12 mode? That will slow down frame rate
* Have you tried adjusting the USB speed control? turning that up should increase FPS.

cheers,

Robin
Gordon

Re: SharpCap 4.0 - Low FPS

Post by Gordon »

Hi Robin,

had it set to mono 8 and down to around 4m/s, didn't make any difference if I set exposure all the way down and I had USB speed all the way up.

I've now managed to get it on USB 3 as I've a new desk top PC and I've transferred Pixinsight, PhotoShop and some other bits of software to that freeing more memory on the laptop. Unfortunately didn't seem to make a difference to FPS with the above settings but when I played around with the exposure (and resolution) the FPS went up to the numbers I'd expect but almost immediately drop to single figures or even 0.2 ish. I'm suspecting the data flow is just too much for my laptop?

My laptop doesn't seem to like version 4 as it works perfectly well on the previous version with the same settings! Frustrating as I'd like to try out the new features, still nothing goes according to plan with all things astro!

Cheers

Gordon