SharpCap 4.0 with Revolution Imager R2

Somewhere to ask questions about the best way to use SharpCap
Forum rules

If you have a problem or question, please check the FAQ to see if it already has an answer : https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap-faqs
TPOB1

SharpCap 4.0 with Revolution Imager R2

Post by TPOB1 »

I recently purchased a Celestron NexStar Evolution 8 and Revolution Imager R2. I found a great video of how to use SharpCap 2.7 with RI2, but there are enough differences between 2.7 and 4.0 that make it difficult. Is there a current video or tutorial for SkyCap 4.0 with Revolution Imager R2? I'm using the frame grabber camera that came with RI2. I tried to adjust the exposure and the Camera Controls/Image Controls/Filter Options/Show window is greyed out. Any suggestions would be appreciated!
admin
Site Admin

Re: SharpCap 4.0 with Revolution Imager R2

Post by admin »

Hi,

I'm not aware of any specific video showing that camera in use with SharpCap 4, but it's possible that they exist - a youtube search might turn something up (possibly leave search as 'sharpcap revolution imager' and then look for recent videos from the last couple of years which are more likely to be version 4).

I thought that the revolution imager/frame grabber combo didn't allow the exposure to be changed from within SharpCap itself (since SharpCap only talks to the grabber, and that has no idea about the exposure of the camera), but I've not used that setup myself.

The video filter / pin options used to be in the menu in SharpCap 2.x, but now they have moved to the camera controls on the right, as highlighted below
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (58.42 KiB) Viewed 597 times
Hope this helps,

Robin
TPOB1

Post by TPOB1 »

Thank you for your reply. I searched YouTube and found one re v4.0 and it was a bit helpful, but I think you may be correct - the exposure may not be adjustable within SharpCap for the frame grabber camera supplied with RI2. Can you recommend a camera that may be better suited for use with SharpCap? Or, as an alternative, software that may be better suited for the frame grabber camera that I have. Thank you!
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

on the question 'what camera to use for SharpCap', almost everyone is using USB connected CMOS based cameras these days. The days of CCD being significantly superior to CMOS are pretty much over. Brands supported by SharpCap include ZWO, Altair and many others. Every brand will have a range of models with different sensor sizes, pixel sizes, cooled or not, etc.

I'm afraid I have no experience of the R2, so I cannot suggest other software to use with it.

cheers,

Robin
TPOB1

Post by TPOB1 »

Thank you!
TPOB1

Post by TPOB1 »

Robin,

Would the Celestron 9370B NexImage 10MP CMOS for the Moon and Planets be a good choice to work with SharpCap?

Tim
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Tim,

I'm going to say not really - although SharpCap does support Celestron cameras, I have not had one of those models to test, so I cannot guarantee it will work flawlessley.

The other reason is that the 10Mp camera isn't really suitable for astrophotography full stop - the pixels are just far too small for most telescopes. You will do far better with fewer but bigger pixels (3.75 micron pixels with a resolution of maybe 1920x1080 is a common starting point).

cheers,

Robin