Image File location moved without obvious input

Anything that doesn't fit into any of the other forums
PetePeterson

Image File location moved without obvious input

Post by PetePeterson »

Discovered that SharpCap hasn’t been sending data to the original C:\0 SharpCap Images folder I'd set up 2 years ago and have been using for some time.

Long ago I’d set the file save location to be C:\0 SharpCap Images and that had been working fine until I don’t know when. At some point my capture files got re-directed to C:\1 ASI live\0 SharpCap Images. The original C:\0 SharpCap Images shortcut somehow moved to under a ASI live file that I never created and knew nothing about.

The original filename I’d created 2 years back is super convenient to access. And I’d mostly been accessing it with the desktop shortcut. Which was somehow got set to C:\1 ASI live\0 SharpCap Images. But then on July 26th I’d saved a night of imaging and on the 27th that night’s files weren’t there when I looked for them in the morning.

When saving another night’s work on July 30 I noticed in the SharpCap banner that the captured files are now going to C:\Users\Administrator\Desktop\SharpCap Captures and that’s what the SharpCap filenames settings currently reads. Looked and that’s indeed where the files were going, and I found the images from the 26 there as well.

My original C:\0 SharpCap Images file has disappeared. And when attempting to reset SharpCap’s SAVE CAPTURED FILES TO save location to C:\0 SharpCap Images I now get the message “This folder does not exist or you may not have permissions to write to it.” This happened even after I specifically re-created the file.

I am on the computer as Administrator so permissions shouldn’t be a problem. And the file does indeed exist.

There’s been no recent SharpCap upgrade although Microsoft frequently slips upgrades into Win 10.

Is this a computer problem or a SharpCap problem? Any clues as to what’s happening here? Direction will be greatly appreciated.

Pete Peterson
admin
Site Admin

Re: Image File location moved without obvious input

Post by admin »

Hi,

I'm not sure that I can explain the ASI Air thing, but I can shed some light on the rest...

The c:\users\usernameDesktop\SharpCap Captures folder is the SharpCap default. Sharpcap will use that on a new install, and will also default back to that if it notices something 'wrong' with the currently set capture folder at startup. I should probably put in a message box to inform people when this happens (currently it just goes into the SharpCap log).

What do I mean 'wrong' with a capture folder?

* Folder doesn't exist
* Folder is inside Program Files or Program Files (x86)
* SharpCap cannot write a test file to the capture folder

I suspect that somehow your SharpCap capture folder got moved into the ASI Air folder. The next time you ran SharpCap, it would have noticed that the specified capture folder did not exist and would reset the capture folder to default to avoid having a 'broken' configuration.

Why can't you set the capture folder back? I suspect that the third test above - writing a file to the new capture folder is failing, perhaps due to permissions. If you view the SharpCap log after trying to reset the capture folder it should give you some more info on which bit is failing.

Hope this helps,

Robin
PetePeterson

Post by PetePeterson »

Problem no longer a problem. No idea what happened here, but in setting up for observing on Wednesday night the SAVE CAPTURED FILES TO worked without a hitch and allowed me to target my designated C:\0 SharpCap Images file.

Didn’t change anything. Version 4.0.8949.0 - 5/9/2022

I’d previously tried rebooting and changing settings with the camera running and disconnected. FWIW the camera was running and the laptop had obviously rebooted once again when turned on.

Is a puzzlement. Sorry to take up forum bandwidth with a problem that looks like a computer hiccup. And thank you Robin for your always present support.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Pete,

no worries - it pointed me to a bug in the program since although it would reset the capture folder if it failed to find the existing one, it did not tell you that it had done that.

cheers,

Robin