Annotation paste custom object

Somewhere to ask questions about the best way to use SharpCap
Forum rules

If you have a problem or question, please check the FAQ to see if it already has an answer : https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap-faqs
Tiago Ferreira

Annotation paste custom object

Post by Tiago Ferreira »

I've tried in different ways to figure it out but i couldn't do it. I captured Pluto but if i could have the annotation would be much faster to do it but i don't know how.
Can you tell me the simpler way to do it?
Thank you.
Pluto Registax2 Stack_211frames_844s_WithDisplayStretch cropped MARKED.png
Pluto Registax2 Stack_211frames_844s_WithDisplayStretch cropped MARKED.png (568.72 KiB) Viewed 501 times
Youtube channel: https://youtube.com/@DobsonianPower

12" f/5 Dobsonian GSO
8" f/6 Dobsonian GSO
6" f/5 Dobsonian Go-To Virtuoso Gti
Dwarf II Smart Telescope
Geoptik Eartha Eq Platform
ZWO ASI224MC + ZWO ASI294MC
admin
Site Admin

Re: Annotation paste custom object

Post by admin »

Hi,

well, you can paste a custom object into the deep sky annotation, and there is no reason that it has to be deep sky. The format is like this

Code: Select all

Pluto||Planet|19h 56m 33.1s |-22° 56’ 08.9”|14.32|||
Copy that text to the clipboard, then in the deep sky annotation window press the 'Paste Custom Object Info' button and you will have Pluto, hopefully in the right place (I took the co-ordinates from Stellarium, and you have to make sure to pick the J2000 co-ordinates, as that is what SharpCap expects for image annotation info).

cheers,

Robin
Tiago Ferreira

Post by Tiago Ferreira »

Ah. I did that before. I even created my own csv file in the annotation folder but i was using decimal format which was annoying to convert and also didn't work. Well, sharpcap accepted it to paste but nothing was on the screen so i assume it was my mistake converting it.
I see that you are using the standard RA and DEC format without converting it so that's motivating. I will do as you did.
Thanks
Youtube channel: https://youtube.com/@DobsonianPower

12" f/5 Dobsonian GSO
8" f/6 Dobsonian GSO
6" f/5 Dobsonian Go-To Virtuoso Gti
Dwarf II Smart Telescope
Geoptik Eartha Eq Platform
ZWO ASI224MC + ZWO ASI294MC
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

yes, SharpCap will accept a wide range of different formats for RA/Dec co-ordinates - if there are is a decimal point and only a single block of digits it assumes decimal hours/decimal degrees. If there are multiple blocks of digits it will interpret as DD MM SS (it doesn't matter what characters come between).

Seeing this made me look again at including the planets,sun and moon in the catalog. I have a prototype of that now. It will be interesting to see how accurate it turns out to be - there is a big trade off in those calculations as getting very accurate predictions requires a lot of terms in the orbital models which makes for bigger code and slower execution. I found a library that I think has a decent balance here, but we shall see.

cheers,

Robin