Increase the FWHM history in live stacking to match the brightness history.

Got an idea for something that SharpCap should do? Share it here.
Forum rules
'+1' posts are welcome in this area of the forums to indicate your support for a particular feature suggestion. Suggestions that get the most +1's will be seriously considered for inclusion in future versions of SharpCap.
Borodog

Increase the FWHM history in live stacking to match the brightness history.

Post by Borodog »

I believe I asked previously about why there was a difference between the histories of FWHM and brightness tracking in their respective live stacking tabs, but I don't believe I made it a formal feature request, so here it is.

It would be very nice if the FWHM tracking worked like the brightness tracking, i.e. showed many more frames in the plot than it currently does. The FWHM history only shows of order 10 or 15 frames (I forget the exact number), while the Brightness tab can display 100 frames if I remember correctly. 10 or 15 frames might be as little as a few minutes, depending on exposure. It's difficult to spot trends over that few frames, for example knowing whether my SCT focus needs to be touched up due to temperature change.

In fact it would be great if both plots could show significantly longer histories, up to several hundred frames.

Thanks for your consideration.
admin
Site Admin

Re: Increase the FWHM history in live stacking to match the brightness history.

Post by admin »

Hmmm, interesting...

The current approach is to allow space for the FWHM value for each frame to be readable in the graph. This isn't important for the brightness readout since the graph shows a relative score (100 being a brightness that matches the average of the last 20 frames or so, 98 would be 2% down, 102 is 2% up, etc). For the relative score, the actual values aren't really important like they are for FWHM.

I wonder how it would work if I just put more data points into the graph, but with them out-of-view by default - you can zoom/scroll the view using the mouse, so you should be able to bring them back in.

cheers,

Robin
Borodog

Re: Increase the FWHM history in live stacking to match the brightness history.

Post by Borodog »

I guess scrolling to more values would be a slight improvement, but it still doesn't achieve my goal of seeing the long term trend at a glance. Ideally I want to see *all* of the data points since the start of the stack.

Personally, I would much prefer a standard vertical axis with numerical values on the tic marks to all of the values labeling their respective bars. All you really need to see is the major grid lines, say the integers. You can easily visually interpolate between them from the data points and see the trend. The maximum and minimum values could be scaled to the nearest integer above and below the highest and lowest recorded values. I would prefer this for both the FWHM and Brightness plots, to be honest. I think they should both just be XY scatter plots of all of the data with the vertical axis scaled to bracket the minimum and maximum values. In fact, I would condense the two tabs into one, with a single graph holding both scatter plots, with the FWHM scale on one vertical axis, say the left, and Brightness on the other. You could then have both Filter check boxes and the other controls from those two tabs on a single tab.