Sky Simulator - error connecting to "camera"

A place to report problems and bugs in SharpCap
Forum rules

If you have a problem or question, please check the FAQ to see if it already has an answer : https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap-faqs

Please also read about Troubleshooting USB Issues before posting.

*** Please do not post license keys - please report any problems with licensing to 'admin' by private message ***

Please include the following details in any bug report:

* Version of SharpCap
* Camera and other hardware being user
* Operating system version
* Contents of the SharpCap log after the problem has occurred.
[If SharpCap crashes, please send the bug report when prompted instead of including the log]
ChrisR Oz

Sky Simulator - error connecting to "camera"

Post by ChrisR Oz »

Hi Robin,

This seems new. I have used "Sky Simulator" many times (sad simulating the sky, I know), but have not had any issues connecting.
It seems to arise by SC trying to set some "camera" parameters, which this simple device does not support.

Error connecting to "Sky Simulator" camera
Error connecting to "Sky Simulator" camera
SkySimulator issue.JPG (31.54 KiB) Viewed 638 times
Any tips?
Cheers, Chris.
Celestron EdgeHD 8, reducer 0.7x, Star Sense, CGX-L mount, Focuser, CPWI; Starlight Xpress AO, OAG and Filter Wheel; ZWO 294MC/294MM Pro and 174MM mini; SharpCap Pro, PHD2, Powermate 2x, Baader Neodymium, Astronomik CLS-CCD, ZWO UV/IR, Duoband filters.
admin
Site Admin

Re: Sky Simulator - error connecting to "camera"

Post by admin »

Hi Chris,

was that from just connecting to the camera? Odd, since I have also used sky simulator lots and have never seen that issue. My sky simulator is probably 2-3 months old, so maybe you have a newer version. I just tried the very latest version and aside from the fact that the image was dark until I turned up the exposure and gain, everything seemed OK.

cheers,

Robin
ChrisR Oz

Post by ChrisR Oz »

No, my version is a year old, and hasn’t changed since I used it with SC.
Cheers, Chris.
Celestron EdgeHD 8, reducer 0.7x, Star Sense, CGX-L mount, Focuser, CPWI; Starlight Xpress AO, OAG and Filter Wheel; ZWO 294MC/294MM Pro and 174MM mini; SharpCap Pro, PHD2, Powermate 2x, Baader Neodymium, Astronomik CLS-CCD, ZWO UV/IR, Duoband filters.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

in that case either try an update to the latest SkySimulator version or send me a log from SharpCap so I can see what is happening when the error occurs. Weird that it should change though, I don't think I have changed anything relating to ASCOM camera handling for some time (at least nothing significant).

cheers,

Robin
ChrisR Oz

Post by ChrisR Oz »

Hi Robin,

Looking at SC logs, with camera extras enabled, shows that it fails trying to get the Sky Simulator to show a setup dialog ...

ASCOM.Sky_Simulator.Camera.SetupDialog()

This causes an exception. Log attached ...

Cheers, Chris.
Attachments
SC-Sky-Simulator-error-log.txt
Logs trying to open Sky Simulator camera
(88.36 KiB) Downloaded 16 times
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Chris,

Ah, OK, I think I have it now...

At some point you have unticked the 'Has cooler' option in the setup of the sky simulator camera (or maybe the latest versions install with that unticked). That somehow causes an error when SharpCap tries to connect. I am going to investigate now, but a workaround should be to conenct to the camera from another application and use the setup dialog to turn 'has cooler' back on.

cheers,

Robin
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

OK, it's a bug in SkySimulator...

If the 'Has Cooler' check box is cleared in sky simulator then it will create an error all on its own then next time you try to connect to it (I expec the connection code tries to turn the cooler on, but there is no 'cooler'). SharpCap then tries to run the setup dialog automatically with the idea that if you failed to connect to the hardware, maybe the setup dialog will help you fix the problem. However, in spite of giving an error, internally, Sky Simulator has set itself as being connected, so when you try to show the setup dialog, that fails with the "can't do this while connected" error.

All a bit of a mess, fortunately I can add a fairly simple workaround in SharpCap that will allow the setup dialog to show.

cheers,

Robin
ChrisR Oz

Post by ChrisR Oz »

Yes, I found that too. I installed the latest Sky Simulator and it works with defaults, which includes Has Cooler enabled. If I disable the cooler, then the same error pops up. Seems that when I disable the cooler in Sky Simulator, it throws the error when SC ask about cooling parameters or capability. If I leave all frills enabled it works.

Cheers, Chris.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Chris,

the weird thing is that the error happens *before* SharpCap gets around to asking about cooling capabilities - it looks like the connecting code of the sky simulator has its own code to check the cooling and *that code* is not capable of working with the cooler turned off. Oh well...

cheers,

Robin
ChrisR Oz

Post by ChrisR Oz »

Interesting. Well, lesson learnt. Leave all options enabled in driver in future.
Thanks for pursuing this.
Cheers, Chris.