Can I turn off or dim the message banner?

Somewhere to ask questions about the best way to use SharpCap
Forum rules

If you have a problem or question, please check the FAQ to see if it already has an answer : https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap-faqs
MarMax

Can I turn off or dim the message banner?

Post by MarMax »

Hi Robin,

I've recently started using PHD2 with SC (9033 64bit) and the message banner when dithering is killing me. In general, now that I'm familiar with how SC operates, I'd like to know if I can turn off the message banner. I tend to be at the laptop constantly and looking at the stacked image as I make adjustments and each time a message banner pops up it's blinding. The same is true for FWHM or Brightness filter messages. I know that my FWHM filter is set low and I'm fine with only stacking 2/10 image because I'm right there running the show.

The message banner is probably ideal for someone that's not in front of the screen so from a distance they can see that something is going on. But when you are 12 inches away it would be nice to either turn off or significantly dim the message banner.

Mike
Menno555

Re: Can I turn off or dim the message banner?

Post by Menno555 »

I've got something alike here too Mike. I am on a 32" monitor and also in front on my screen.
Here too somewhat blinding when it's dark in the room en SC is in Dark Mode. But as far as I know there is no option (yet) to turn it off.
But it would indeed be very useful if it could :)

Menno
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hmm, we could have an option to set the brightness down to say 50% perhaps. All I need to do is set the transparency to 50% on the notification and then make sure there is solid black behind it so you don't see the image/controls through the partially transparent text/background. Does that sound like it would help?

I do want to make it possible to navigate back through previous notifications if you miss them. One day I'll get around to it ;)

cheers,

Robin
mikenoname

Post by mikenoname »

Even just making the notifications a darker color as an automatic adjustment when you choose the Dark/Night theme. But the transparency trick might work...
MarMax

Post by MarMax »

Adjusting the brightness to 50% would be a big help. I know these requests are made without consideration for the amount of programming necessary so hopefully going to 50% is not too much trouble.
ChrisR Oz

Post by ChrisR Oz »

I would definitely vote for a dimmer banner line.
Perhaps just use a dimmer colour for it when Dark UI is enabled?
Cheers, Chris.
Celestron EdgeHD 8, reducer 0.7x, Star Sense, CGX-L mount, Focuser, CPWI; Starlight Xpress AO, OAG and Filter Wheel; ZWO 294MC/294MM Pro and 174MM mini; SharpCap Pro, PHD2, Powermate 2x, Baader Neodymium, Astronomik CLS-CCD, ZWO UV/IR, Duoband filters.
Acrux

Post by Acrux »

I too, find the message banner very bright. A dimmer banner would certainly be more comfortable.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

I have added a separate option to dim the banner brightness by 50%, which can be used independently of night mode. This will be in next week's update.

cheers,

Robin
MarMax

Post by MarMax »

Robin,

Thank you for the 50% brightness setting on the menu bar. It's simply wonderful!