Live stack for X frames then pause doesn't seen to run

A place to report problems and bugs in SharpCap
Forum rules

If you have a problem or question, please check the FAQ to see if it already has an answer : https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap-faqs

Please also read about Troubleshooting USB Issues before posting.

*** Please do not post license keys - please report any problems with licensing to 'admin' by private message ***

Please include the following details in any bug report:

* Version of SharpCap
* Camera and other hardware being user
* Operating system version
* Contents of the SharpCap log after the problem has occurred.
[If SharpCap crashes, please send the bug report when prompted instead of including the log]
mfratto

Live stack for X frames then pause doesn't seen to run

Post by mfratto »

Hi there, I am trying to build some automated sequences to basically live stack for 5 minutes, do a plate solve, then live stack 5 more minutes and repeat for an hour, them move into the next entry in the file. I have attached my sequence. To test this, I am using the Test Camera 1 I have an image of M101 that will plate solve successfully) and ASCOM test mount.

To recreate, load the attached sequence. Using Test Camera 1, add an image that will plate solve. Add an entry into the file with coordinates, and run it.

The sequence gets to the point where it live stacks for 40 frames using the command "Live Stack for 40 more frames then pause" but it never starts to live stack. It should complete in 20 seconds (40 frames at 0.5 seconds each.)

I don't know why.

BTW, I assume that "Live stack for X frames then pause" means Sharpcap will start a live stack it if hasn't already or resume an existing live stack. The manual doesn't describe this command (first thing I checked for when I ran into errors). I have may have missed where it was documented, though.

Thanks.
Attachments
Long sequence with plate solving interleaved.scs
sequence
(1.12 KiB) Downloaded 18 times
Log_2022-06-25T20_41_50-13940.log
log file
(82.97 KiB) Downloaded 22 times
admin
Site Admin

Re: Live stack for X frames then pause doesn't seen to run

Post by admin »

Ah, sorry about that :(

Firstly the step was added after the documentation was written, so is missing from the documentation. I really must get around to a documentation update sometime soon...

Secondly, the step is designed to be used with live stacking already active (there are other steps to activate live stacking). The code was supposed to give an error if live stacking wasn't active, but I got that bit slightly wrong, so that instead it just waits for the number of live stacked frames to increase (which of course it doesn't).

I will fix the code so that it correctly fails with an error if live stacking isn't active.

Your best bet is to add a 'start live stacking' step at the appropriate place near the beginning of your sequence.

cheers,

Robin
mfratto

Post by mfratto »

Got it. Thanks for the quick response, Robin.

There doesn't seem to be a "start live stacking for x frames then pause" command, though. Going from memory there are commands to start a live stack, or start for X frames then save. If there isn't a command to "stack for x frames then pause" command, that would be a useful feature.

I guess I could start a live stack, wait the appropriate time, pause, then proceed? I'll try that when I get back to my laptop with Sharpcap on it.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

I think the idea was that you could do

Code: Select all

LIVE STACKING START
    LIVE STACK FOR 20 MORE FRAMES THEN PAUSE
There is just a chance that the stack may add a frame during the time between the start of the live stacking and running the second step, but the worst that can happen is that you get 21 frames not 20 before pausing.

cheers,

Robin
mfratto

Post by mfratto »

Awesome. Thanks.
mfratto

Post by mfratto »

I saw you added a "live stack for X frames then pause" in the latest update.

Thanks a bunch! You're the best.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

confused just a bit now.... I think that step has been there for several months ;)

Happy to accept the credit for it though :D

cheers,

Robin
mfratto

Post by mfratto »

You're right. It was one of the steps we were talking about in this thread. Now where's that Face Palm emoji I need right now. :-)