Installing AstroTortilla for plate solving

Anything that doesn't fit into any of the other forums
umasscrew39

Re: Installing AstroTortolla for plate solving

Post by umasscrew39 »

Chris

I tried this using saved images (specific settings for the camera used to take the image) but nothing is solving. It starts out and identifies an X number of file sources then in about 2-5 sec, it says, not solved. I know the fit files downloaded as it took a while when I reinstalled AstroTortilla so not sure where the disconnect lies.
Attachments
AstroTortilla.png
AstroTortilla.png (94.78 KiB) Viewed 1808 times
BlackWikkett

Re: Installing AstroTortilla for plate solving

Post by BlackWikkett »

Nick,

I believe you're running Windows on a mac, correct? Lets make sure the index files downloaded and installed. Find the "cygwin\usr\shar\astrometry\data directory on you Windows drive. This will be on the same drive that Windows is installed in but not the Windows directory. There should be several files in the directory labeled index-xxxx.xx.fits (ex xxxx.xx is 4204-01.) In my case this folder has over 2.4 GB of index files which covers my two telescopes field of view from wide field 70mm APO to 150mm RC.
cygwin-data.PNG
cygwin-data.PNG (82.45 KiB) Viewed 1807 times
Did you look at the Astro Tortilla logs?

-Chris
umasscrew39

Post by umasscrew39 »

I am Bruce, not Nick.

No- I am using a PC with Windows 10. I do see the directory with 9.6 GB of fits files. This was extensive covering my 80 mm and C11 from f/7 to f/2 and 3 cameras.
BlackWikkett

Post by BlackWikkett »

Sorry about that Bruce, my apologies! Did you have any luck with the logs from Astro Tortilla?
-Chris
umasscrew39

Post by umasscrew39 »

That is weird, too. Even after a failed run, the log is always blank.
ernie

Post by ernie »

Posted elsewhere, cannot download the data from astrotortilla. Any suggestions?

Ernie
Attachments
Screenshot 2022-01-28 075725.jpg
Screenshot 2022-01-28 075725.jpg (41.53 KiB) Viewed 732 times
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Try Ansvr instead - it has the same plate solving engine in it.

https://adgsoftware.com/ansvr/

The change log indicates that the most recent change was to fix a data file download problem, so maybe it has a fix to the issue you are seeing.

cheers,

Robin
paulskirk

Post by paulskirk »

Hi I haven't read all the posts and don't know if you're wedded to astrotortilla for a particular reason. Also I used AT in my early years of platesolving and I haven't kept in touch with it, so don't know if it has evolved to be different from what it was.

However, as time progressed in my context as a galaxy imager, I found AT was taking a lot of tme to solve (6 minutes +) and also was often unable to solve my fields, so I moved on to this other free solver called ASTAP https://www.hnsky.org/astap.htm

ASTAP has a friendlier UI, is easy to use and produces really fast solves. It's an all sky solver. There are differnt catalogues for stars at different magnitude ranges.

I was very grateful for the support I received from the AT forum and when I moved on to use AT in my image/ session manager program (SGP), I found ANSVR was very useful as a fall back solver, but now that I use ASTAP, although I've kept AT installed, I find I don't use it.

good luck,
Paul
martinrw

Post by martinrw »

I am brand-new to plate solving and AstroTortilla and trying to install it. I am using the Light Vortex Tutorial on "Setting up and Using AstroTortilla for Plate Solving". I followed the Install prompts and selected the index files. I chose their server in Finland. Rereading the tutorial again perhaps the problem is I do not have this computer connected to the scope and camera while doing this install. Is that the problem?
Also an earlier question on this forum asked what to do with a dropdown list where SharpCap was not listed. I did not understand the answer. Thanks for helping this newbie.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

the last time I tried Astrotortilla, the installation was broken and it missed out installing quite a large chunk of the software without giving any errors about it - that's why I recommended using Ansvr (link above) instead. Having your camera or telescope connected during the install will have no effect - the problem with the install is (I think) that some web sites that the installer uses to download the tools it needs have changed and the installer has not been updated.

cheers,

Robin