Folder Camera with single file?

A place to report problems and bugs in SharpCap
Forum rules

If you have a problem or question, please check the FAQ to see if it already has an answer : https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap-faqs

Please also read about Troubleshooting USB Issues before posting.

*** Please do not post license keys - please report any problems with licensing to 'admin' by private message ***

Please include the following details in any bug report:

* Version of SharpCap
* Camera and other hardware being user
* Operating system version
* Contents of the SharpCap log after the problem has occurred.
[If SharpCap crashes, please send the bug report when prompted instead of including the log]
ChrisR Oz

Folder Camera with single file?

Post by ChrisR Oz »

Hi Robin,

I don't seem to be able to coax a Folder Camera to show me a single file folder. Click on advance, rewind, pause, play, even the new button (replay current frame), but it doesn't want to show the only file there.

Folder Camera controls with an extra button
Folder Camera controls with an extra button
Folder issue.JPG (22.37 KiB) Viewed 377 times

Any tips?

I put it under bugs, as you would think that in this case (single file), it should just show that one, with the option to "replay" just that one.
Cheers, Chris.

P.S. I wanted to try the cool new plate-solve from a file (using FITS header metadata) feature ...
Celestron EdgeHD 8, reducer 0.7x, Star Sense, CGX-L mount, Focuser, CPWI; Starlight Xpress AO, OAG and Filter Wheel; ZWO 294MC/294MM Pro and 174MM mini; SharpCap Pro, PHD2, Powermate 2x, Baader Neodymium, Astronomik CLS-CCD, ZWO UV/IR, Duoband filters.
admin
Site Admin

Re: Folder Camera with single file?

Post by admin »

Hi Chris,

weird, works for me...

Click browse, click on the single file in the folder, click the 'All .xxx Files' button. Then the image shows and pressing the 'repeat' button increments the 'Previewing XX frames' count at the bottom left, so it is all working. Must be something that is slightly different in the way you are doing it maybe? If you are still stuck then send a log and I will see what that says.

cheers,

Robin
ChrisR Oz

Post by ChrisR Oz »

Interesting. I do the same (SC 4.0.9063) and I get this, immediately after file selection (no image is displayed and blank "current frame") ...

after file select
after file select
Folder issue2.JPG (23.18 KiB) Viewed 355 times

OK, found the issue. I created the FITS file from PI, which defaulted to 32 bit floating point. Switching to 16 bit unsigned integers and it now works.

Seems that errors in any FITS files are silently ignored.
Cheers, Chris.
Celestron EdgeHD 8, reducer 0.7x, Star Sense, CGX-L mount, Focuser, CPWI; Starlight Xpress AO, OAG and Filter Wheel; ZWO 294MC/294MM Pro and 174MM mini; SharpCap Pro, PHD2, Powermate 2x, Baader Neodymium, Astronomik CLS-CCD, ZWO UV/IR, Duoband filters.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Chris,

I will have to test - from the code it looks like there should be a warning in the log at the minimum saying that the file could not be loaded. The idea of not having it too intrusive was to make sure that if you had a bad file in among 50 good ones, you didn't get stopped from working, but in this case it leaves things a bit of a mystery...

cheers,

Robin