Plate Solving with the Synscan App

Anything that doesn't fit into any of the other forums
FDNF

Plate Solving with the Synscan App

Post by FDNF »

Hello,

I do not know what category to put this in.

I have a Sky-Watcher Az/Gti mount.

On my first night of clear skies I tried out my new setup.

Sky-Watcher Az/Gti mount connected wireless over wifi.

Mount is connected to Synscan app, Stellarium is connected through Ascom Device Hub, and Sharpcap is connected through Ascom Device Hub.

Ascom Device Hub is setup for the Synscan App driver.

Everything seems to work as it should, synscan app controls the mount, Stellarium can control the mount, and Sharpcap can connect to the mount, and also the camera. Sharpcap can also control mount when its connected.

Sharpcap can Plate Solve, But it "Could not sync mount to plate solve location:Sync to AltAz: is not allowed when tracking is True"

This is the message that pops up at the top of the screen in a orange bar after plate solving.

Any ideas?????

Thanks

Curtis
Curtis
admin
Site Admin

Re: Plate Solving with the Synscan App

Post by admin »

Hi,

sounds like your mount is expecting a sync while tracking to be to RA/Dec co-ordinates - that's a new one on me. I can change the code to support that in the next update.

cheers,

Robin
FDNF

Post by FDNF »

error mess.jpg
error mess.jpg (404.23 KiB) Viewed 2266 times
Thank You Robin,

This is what shows every time I do a Plate Solve.

Thanks

Curtis
Curtis
FDNF

Post by FDNF »

Robin,

Your fix worked!!!

The mount is now Syncing and Centering!

Thank You very much for the fast fix!

Curtis
Curtis
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Curtis,

glad that worked :)

cheers,

Robin
FDNF

Post by FDNF »

Hi Robin,

I am running version 9246 of sharpcap, Tried to do some imaging tonight, and all of a sudden I am getting another error message when trying to plate solve with my Sky-Watcher Az Gti. It solves the problem everytime, but than a message pops up in Red, Stating;

"Could not sync mount to plate solve location: The requested operation is not permitted this time"

Any ideas on this ?

Thanks a lot

Curtis
Curtis
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

that error means that the plate solving is working and SharpCap is sending the synchronization request to the mount, but the mount is rejecting it with the error

Code: Select all

The requested operation is not permitted this time
Now, the question is, why is the ASCOM driver rejecting the sync command? I've seen similar messages if the mount is not tracking (or is not tracking at the sidereal rate). It's also posssible that if you have set the mount up to have a complex pointing model, synchronization may only be allowed while building the pointing model.

If you can't work out what is going on from the ASCOM driver side, you can change the option in the SharpCap plate solve settings to use an offset GOTO to recenter the target instead of a Sync/re-goto.

cheers,

Robin
FDNF

Post by FDNF »

Robin,

Since last May, When you added a fix, The Sky-watcher mount, and Synscan App have been working great!

It seems since going to the latest updated version of SC that the problem started. I have the latest SC version on my desktop, and a laptop, and tried both of them last night with the same results.

I have not done any changes to the mount at all, I am going to revert back to the last SC version when the mount would Plate Solve and center and give that a try next.

I will keep you posted

Cheers

Curtis
Curtis
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Curtis,

if you do find it was linked to a SharpCap update then please let me know which version worked and which version broke things - that helps me track down the changes that might have caused the problem as I only have to investigate the changes between those two versions.

thanks,

Robin
FDNF

Post by FDNF »

Morning Robin,

I got to test it last night, I went back to the previous version that the mount was syncing and re-centering with.
But I still had the same problem, it plate solved, but wouldn't sync and re-center.

So I used your advise, and in SharpCap, I changed the setting from sync and re-center, to offset the mount position to center the target, And it started working again!!!!!

I have no idea what changed, So SharpCap would have stopped working with the sync and center option though, I have made no changes to any settings,in SC, or the Synscan app or its driver!

Thanks a lot, appreciate the help with this!

Curtis
Curtis