Planet disk stabilization beyond 8 bit?

Got an idea for something that SharpCap should do? Share it here.
Forum rules
'+1' posts are welcome in this area of the forums to indicate your support for a particular feature suggestion. Suggestions that get the most +1's will be seriously considered for inclusion in future versions of SharpCap.
ChrisR Oz

Planet disk stabilization beyond 8 bit?

Post by ChrisR Oz »

Hi Robin,

Planet disk stabilization for planet imaging using a cropped image space is a great feature. But it only works in 8 bit modes, it seems.

Is it possible to extend this to higher bit modes (e.g. RAW16)?

Cheers, Chris.
Celestron EdgeHD 8, reducer 0.7x, Star Sense, CGX-L mount, Focuser, CPWI; Starlight Xpress AO, OAG and Filter Wheel; ZWO 294MC/294MM Pro and 174MM mini; SharpCap Pro, PHD2, Televue Powermate 2x, Baader Neodymium, Astronomik CLS-CCD, ZWO UV/IR, Duo filters
admin
Site Admin

Re: Planet disk stabilization beyond 8 bit?

Post by admin »

Hi Chris,

in theory, yes, it's possible. I'm puzzled as to why, since in most (all?) cases, the camera settings used for planetary/lunar/solar imaging are such that there is no real benefit to moving to 16 bit. The noise level due to pixel shot noise is typically higher than the size of the 8 bit ADU level, so all you do by going to 16 bit is measure and record the noise in more detail.

cheers,

Robin
ChrisR Oz

Post by ChrisR Oz »

Hi Robin,

I agree in theory. But I was doing some experiments to probe that (back when the planets were up) and found I needed different approaches based on pixel depth.

Not a big issue.

Cheers, Chris.
Celestron EdgeHD 8, reducer 0.7x, Star Sense, CGX-L mount, Focuser, CPWI; Starlight Xpress AO, OAG and Filter Wheel; ZWO 294MC/294MM Pro and 174MM mini; SharpCap Pro, PHD2, Televue Powermate 2x, Baader Neodymium, Astronomik CLS-CCD, ZWO UV/IR, Duo filters
Borodog

Post by Borodog »

Dr. Glover,

I typically shoot Earthshine in 16bit, for what it’s worth.