Bayer Pattern Flip Both

Somewhere to ask questions about the best way to use SharpCap
Forum rules

If you have a problem or question, please check the FAQ to see if it already has an answer : https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap-faqs
JimmyWimmy

Bayer Pattern Flip Both

Post by JimmyWimmy »

I have a ZWO ASI 533MC Pro which I understand has a Bayer pattern of "RGGB"
I have taken some images in "Flip = Both" mode because it was easier to frame my target that way.
I captured .tif files.
Am I right in thinking that I should treat these files as having a Bayer pattern of "BGGR" because they are effectively upside-down and will therefore be read from the bottom right?
M101_00001.CameraSettings.txt
(1001 Bytes) Downloaded 36 times
JimmyWimmy

Re: Bayer Pattern Flip Both

Post by JimmyWimmy »

The attached was processed assuming "BGGR" and I think the colours look the right way round.
M101x60of63L-lpc-cbg-csc-St.jpg
M101x60of63L-lpc-cbg-csc-St.jpg (493.57 KiB) Viewed 853 times
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

yes, that's right - with flip in both directions you will get BGGR. SharpCap understands this and changes the pattern used for display in SharpCap (and the one written to FITS headers), but with TIFF you are on your own. My trick if I am ever unsure with a new camera is to shine a red torch onto the sensor (down the telescope) and then try all the patterns until I get the one that shows red.

cheers,

Robin
iamhondo

Post by iamhondo »

"...try all the patterns..."

Doesn't that beg a feature to sequentially capture images with different debayer patterns until the user presses the "I SEE RED" button?

(Asking for someone who doesn't need to write the code.)

Joe
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Joe,

I guess I could do that, but it's usually automatic, so it wouldn't really help many people...

cheers,

Robin
JimmyWimmy

Post by JimmyWimmy »

admin wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 3:33 pm yes, that's right - with flip in both directions you will get BGGR. SharpCap understands this and changes the pattern used for display in SharpCap (and the one written to FITS headers), but with TIFF you are on your own.
Thanks Robin,

Jim