Program Shift (gain/exposure shift)

Got an idea for something that SharpCap should do? Share it here.
Forum rules
'+1' posts are welcome in this area of the forums to indicate your support for a particular feature suggestion. Suggestions that get the most +1's will be seriously considered for inclusion in future versions of SharpCap.
admin
Site Admin

Program Shift (gain/exposure shift)

Post by admin »

Ok, a bit odd, but I am posting a feature suggestion myself to get feedback on it.

SLR cameras used to have a thing called 'program shift', where in auto/program mode you could turn a dial to switch between different exposure/aperture combinations that all would up giving the same total exposure - for instance

f/4, 1/400s
f/8, 1/100s
f/16, 1/25s

I keep thinking that a similar thing that allowed you to trade off between gain and exposure might be nice. Basically an easy way to do things like:

* 'decrease the exposure by a factor of 8 but increase the gain to keep the image brightness the same'
* 'increase the exposure by a factor of 2 but decrease the gain to keep the image brightness the same'

I seem to frequently want to do this to switch between shorter exposures (focus/framing/plate solving) and longer exposures (imaging/stacking), so something like this would seem useful.

So really the first question is, does anyone else feel a need for this sort of control? If it turns out that this might be useful to a reasonable number of people then the real fun starts - working out how to represent it *and* continue to have separate gain and exposure controls without confusing everyone ;)

cheers,

Robin
Menno555

Re: Program Shift (gain/exposure shift)

Post by Menno555 »

Hi Robin

It indeed could be a useful feature. Maybe with an option in it too where the user can put in the desired values/factors?

Menno
carlomuccini

Post by carlomuccini »

Hi Robin

I think it can be useful for planetary shooting where you always look for the best compromise between lightness and speed
For the deep sky I do not see the usefulness

Carlo
Borodog

Post by Borodog »

+1

This is an excellent, excellent feature and I would absolutely use it every single time I use SharpCap.