Polar Alignment Blues

Using SharpCap's Polar Alignment feature
brenski

Re: Polar Alignment Blues

Post by brenski »

@admin thanks Robin, really helpful.

once I get a "Good" reported by SC Polar Align, is there anything needed to do to confirm? The only clickable button is RESTART.
Once I get a "Good" I've exited the Polar Align tool and proceeded to Capture.
If not, then something else must be awry?

I’m wondering if it’s down to one of the following:
♦ Re-tightening the Latitude Lock Handle is somehow jolting the alignment?
♦ Turning the scope round to selected target is affecting alignment?
♦ the tripod/polar wedge isn’t truly level?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

ah yes, when you see 'Good' you can close polar alignment, but you should tighten all the alt/az screws *before* you do that, since the tightening can throw you off.

Levelling of the tripod/wedge should not be a problem - it only really affects polar alignment if you are doing it with the 'protractor and compass' method.

Moving the scope around could affect alignment - it depends on how the center of mass of everything on the mount shifts as you move to point to somewhere else. This could be a particular problem if the tripod is on soft ground as it could start to sink :(

cheers,

Robin
brenski

Post by brenski »

admin wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 5:23 pmah yes, when you see 'Good' you can close polar alignment, but you should tighten all the alt/az screws *before* you do that, since the tightening can throw you off.
that's useful, will tighten up the screws before shutting down the tool
admin wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 5:23 pmLevelling of the tripod/wedge should not be a problem - it only really affects polar alignment if you are doing it with the 'protractor and compass' method.
great, will disregard this as a potential issue then.
admin wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 5:23 pmMoving the scope around could affect alignment - it depends on how the center of mass of everything on the mount shifts as you move to point to somewhere else.
so, probably best to have the scope not fully tightened on the SW mount, to allow easier movement?
admin wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 5:23 pmThis could be a particular problem if the tripod is on soft ground as it could start to sink :( cheers, Robin
the lawn is artificial grass with sand/concrete base, so this shouldn't be an issue.