How Do I Convert FITS to TIFF?

Somewhere to ask questions about the best way to use SharpCap
Forum rules

If you have a problem or question, please check the FAQ to see if it already has an answer : https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap-faqs
admin
Site Admin

Re: How Do I Convert FITS to TIFF?

Post by admin »

Hi Mark,

yep, the sharing worked fine and I see the same problem here when I load that FITS into PIPP. Actually, I had just been looking at another issue in the last 30 minutes and hit exactly the same problem in PIPP as you had with the image broken and shifted right. It doesn't happen with a smaller fits file (1280x960x3 channels), but does with high resolution, even mono. Must be a PIPP bug :(

I will see if I can get in contact with the author of PIPP - there hasn't been an update since 2017, so I'm not sure if it is still maintained.

cheers,

Robin
Menno555

Post by Menno555 »

Hi Mark and Robin

I did test it and PIPP gets confused somehow because the FITS is not cropped. Below you can see that the edges of the FITS are showing and somehow PIPP then makes that vertical line and shifts all to the right.
But when I crop the FITS in SiriL so that only those edges are gone and save it again as FITS and then in PIPP make it to TIF, there is no vertical line and everything looks okay.

Menno
Clipboard01.jpg
Clipboard01.jpg (437.43 KiB) Viewed 430 times
poolemarkw

Post by poolemarkw »

Thanks Robin and Menno! Not sure where we go from here, but hopefully the developers of PIPP and address the issue. In the mean time I'll use ASIFITSVIEW to convert my .fit files to .tiff

Please let me know if you hear anything new about a fix for the problem.

Mark
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

I had it happen to an image without borders (a single frame) - I suspect it is something to do with the image size tripping up PIPP - whether it is a 'bigger than a certain size' causes the problem or a 'some specific sizes' that cause it, I don't know.

Anyway, I emailed the author of PIPP with details of the issue, but I'm not sure if PIPP is still being updated as the last version is 2017.

cheers,

Robin