Debayering FITS with PIPP Not Working in Version 4

Somewhere to ask questions about the best way to use SharpCap
Forum rules

If you have a problem or question, please check the FAQ to see if it already has an answer : https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap-faqs
poolemarkw

Debayering FITS with PIPP Not Working in Version 4

Post by poolemarkw »

Hello Everyone,

Previously in version 3.2 I would save my stacks as 16-bit FITS files and then debayer using PIPP. I just tried to debayer a FITS file created in version 4 and PIPP is chopping off the rightmost 25% of the frame and sticking it on the left side of the frame. Did something change?

Thanks,

Mark
admin
Site Admin

Re: Debayering FITS with PIPP Not Working in Version 4

Post by admin »

Hi Mark,

a bit confused, since if you are using live stacking then the saved stacks are colour already and do not need debayering. Saved RAW frames obviously do need debayering. There is a change to FITS files in 4.0 - the bayer pattern saved into the file headers is now switchable between 'normal' and 'inverted' to deal with the fact that processing applications cannot actually agree about what the correct pattern is :
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (80.96 KiB) Viewed 734 times
Anyway, even that should not get the sort of output you describe with the layout of the image messed up.

Please feel free to post a bad and a good FITS file if you are still stuck so I can investigate further.

cheers,

Robin
poolemarkw

Post by poolemarkw »

Thanks Robin. I'll change my 4.0 setting to the "inverted" option that you circled below and see if it works the next time.

Here's my process: When I'm ready to do a "Save" of the stack I'm using "Save as 16 Bit Stack" and this creates the .fits file. It is always in black/white. I then use PIPP to debayer it using RGGB and create a resulting output .tif file that I post-process using PhotoShop.

1) Is there some setting that will create debayered .fits files rather than black/white?
2) Is there some other recommended method to go from .fits to .tif so I can edit in PhotoShop?

Thanks!

Mark
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Mark,

unless you have alignment turned off in live stacking (which would be odd, since that's mostly what live stacking is for), then the FITS that you get by doign 'Save as 16 bit stack' should be a 3 channel (R,G,B) full colour FITS file. Some fits viewers do not deal with this as you might expect - for instance FITSLiberator can show each of the 3 channels as a monochrome image, but you cannot view the full colour in FITSLiberator.
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (19.1 KiB) Viewed 703 times
PIPP and GIMP and other software do understand the 3 channel FITS format for colour images. I suspect that you are actually using PIPP to convert this 3 colour format to TIFF, which will work fine, but isn't really anything to do with debayering.

Anyway, not sure that any of that is relevant to your original problem which was to do with the image being messed up...

cheers,

Robin