Sensor Analysis...almost there?

Somewhere to ask questions about the best way to use SharpCap
Forum rules

If you have a problem or question, please check the FAQ to see if it already has an answer : https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap-faqs
CraigG

Sensor Analysis...almost there?

Post by CraigG »

Hi All!

After working with SC for a few years now, I decided to spend some time setting up the Smart Histogram 3.2 function for my Atik Horizon cameras. I've started out with the mono camera and although the analysis routine seems to go through the process fine, I'm not getting the final gain/noise graph or the multi-line table shown in the manual examples. Pic attached.

I have a suspicion that the dark frame portion of the analysis might be the culprit. During that measurement, there is no change in the exposure levels nor is there a visible change in the shading of the screen as there is in the other measurements in the routine. The dialogue box indicates that it's measuring but...

Does this sound like an operator error or does it point to some anomaly with the hardware? Thanks!

Craig
Attachments
Image5393430623161544469.jpg
Image5393430623161544469.jpg (310.37 KiB) Viewed 675 times
admin
Site Admin

Re: Sensor Analysis...almost there?

Post by admin »

Hi,

what you are seeing is what I would expect to see on a camera that doesn't have any gain adjustment available to SharpCap. The graph and multi line results show how the various values of interest (read noise, FWD, etc) change with different gain values. If the camera has no gain adjustment, it effectively has a single fixed gain, so you get one point on the graph and one line in the results.

What I don't know is if your camera *should* have adjustable gain and SharpCap isn't letting you adjust it, or if that's just how it is. I'm fairly sure the Horizon II has adjustable gain, but not sure about the original model.

cheers,

Robin
CraigG

Re: Sensor Analysis...almost there?

Post by CraigG »

Thanks Robin!

That makes sense. The Horizon does have Low, Medium, and High presets but I've never tried to go beyond those if that's even possible. I guess it's a moot point anyway if SC can't find and manipulate gain for the analysis. No worries, the cameras have still played nicely with SC all of these years!

Best wishes,
Craig