Severe application crash issue

wargrafix

Severe application crash issue

Post by wargrafix »

Last night after updating to the latest Sharpcap, its all gone horribly wrong. The application will find the ASI533 and connect. Then after a while, the application will freeze...and then crash. I tried several times and even earlier versions but same issue. I thought it was the cables, so tried others and same issue.

I used firecapture and it worked flawlessly for hours. I primarily use the livestacking feature and am really trying to resolve the issue. I even updated everything, but no success.

Windows 10
8gb ram
Samsung 1tb SSD
Geforce 965m

I am a bit stressed out as in a month time we are doing a live star party, and this is not a good look. I was live stack, its frozen, but currently taking a while to spit out the not responding error
Menno555

Re: Severe application crash issue

Post by Menno555 »

Hi

Could you please share a log file from one of those sessions? You can attach is to your reaction.
You can find the logs here: C:\Users\Username\AppData\Local\SharpCap\logs where Username is your Windows username.

Menno
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

Menno is right that seeing the log file will help a lot. It also helps to know what version you are using now and what version you had before the update (that way I can check what changes were made and see if any might be linked to the problems).

cheers,

Robin
wargrafix

Post by wargrafix »

Thank you kindly!

4.0.8604.0 was working fine...and just stopped.

4.0.8629.0 updated, but no good and uninstalling and the old version didn't work

I hope it assisted
Attachments
Log_2022-01-27T00_28_44-1320.log
(34.88 KiB) Downloaded 44 times
Log_2022-01-25T22_24_37-12192.log
(39.32 KiB) Downloaded 48 times
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

thanks for the logs - I think I have a freeze report that you sent too that corresponds to one of the logs and has more information in it.

One thing that is odd is that by the time the freeze report was being created, it looks like the application had started responding again. This is making me think that something that usually happens very quickly is taking a long time and freezing the application while it happens. This could be directly related to your camera, or perhaps more likely related to your ASCOM hardware.

As a first thing to try, I'd suggest deselecting the option to 'Connect hardware automatically when opening a camera' (https://docs.sharpcap.co.uk/4.0/#Hardware%20Tab). If this gets rid of the freeze when opening the camera, we can definitly concentrate on the ASCOM hardware. Taking this approach you can individually connect each item of hardware to see which (if any) causes the program to freeze.

cheers,

Robin
wargrafix

Post by wargrafix »

Yep, I had sent a freeze report. It's really bizarre. It will start working, and then freeze. And sometimes not at regular intervals. And if I miss the wait or close dialog, it freezes completely
wargrafix

Post by wargrafix »

I am finally home. It's overcast, but I have an another asi224mc and mars-m camera to test.

And it's not looking good. I tried the reconnect fix, I turned off debayering, I turned on logging for camera. And both cameras resulted in the same lockup after a while. Ran both on firecapture with no problems.

I hope we can figure this out. Going to try on another laptop just in case. I am deeply passionate about the software and really hope we can figure this out. Will try to upload log files after dinner.

Also used the latest version of sharpcap 64bit
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

OK, the next step is to turn on additional logging for communications with the camera - see https://docs.sharpcap.co.uk/4.0/#Logging%20Tab

Turn on the additional logging before opening the camera. For good measure turn on the ASCOM logging options too so we can see any commands being sent to mount/focuser/etc.

Once the logging is on, open the camera, and either grab the log after it unfreezes or send the freeze report and let me know to look for it.

cheers

Robin
wargrafix

Post by wargrafix »

So I think I solved the problem. Hopefully. I have 8gb of ram, but when I used the 32 bit version it worked.

Then I hooked up the 533 and it didn't. I even went back to the older cables I was using.

I started looking at the different features and came across the paging and classic memory options. I selected classic and no hangs from then on. I did 5 mins subs and for several hours it worked without issue. I will continue testing, but for now it looks like its working.

Its very bizarre since I had been using the 64 bit version for a long while, since version 3 and without issue.

This is on the current 32 bit version of Sharpcap. I hope the attached log can provide insight
Attachments
Log_2022-01-28T20_57_22-10072.log
(625.13 KiB) Downloaded 42 times
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

interesting about the memory option. Looking through the log I can see that the total system memory is logged as 8Gb, with about 4-5Gb free from your various logs. Before you changed to classic memory, you had the paged settings at about 2Gb + 2Gb, so maybe the total amount of memory was causing some sort of issue (paging memory to disk?)

Anyway, good to hear that you have things working again, there was no 'smoking gun' in the last log sadly.

cheers,

Robin