Capture ETA wrong

A place to report problems and bugs in SharpCap
Forum rules

If you have a problem or question, please check the FAQ to see if it already has an answer : https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap-faqs

Please also read about Troubleshooting USB Issues before posting.

*** Please do not post license keys - please report any problems with licensing to 'admin' by private message ***

Please include the following details in any bug report:

* Version of SharpCap
* Camera and other hardware being user
* Operating system version
* Contents of the SharpCap log after the problem has occurred.
[If SharpCap crashes, please send the bug report when prompted instead of including the log]
StuartT

Capture ETA wrong

Post by StuartT »

Whenever I do a capture, even one that is going to take as long as ten mins, the ETA indicator always just shows the current time. This is not very helpful. It would be great if it showed the actual ETA so I would know when to come back to the laptop.

See screenshot. This was a 5000 frame capture at about 5 fps. So we're talking over 15 minutes duration

Surely it can't be hard to work out an accurate ETA from the number of frames set and the frame rate?

Thanks
Attachments
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (33.29 KiB) Viewed 1104 times
admin
Site Admin

Re: Capture ETA wrong

Post by admin »

Hi,

I think I understand - the calculation is done based on the exposure length of the camera (rather than the FPS). If you are running 50ms exposures and getting 20fps then it will correctly show the end time. If you are running 1ms exposures, but only getting 5fps then it will think 5000 frames should be captured in 5s, not 1000s.

I will look into adjusting this.

cheers,

Robin
StuartT

Post by StuartT »

Right. I see.

I would think the frame rate is the more relevant parameter. Esp with short exposure times (because a 1ms exposure time would need a frame rate of 1000 to achieve the currently calculated ETA - and I don't know any cameras able to do that)

It would be great if you could fix this. It would make life easier :-)

Thanks
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

yes, I agree (although I should point out that the ZWO 174 can hit 1600fps with an ROI of 1920x60 in 8 bit mode - I had some people using a setup like that to capture real-time spectra of explosions using SharpCap!)

cheers,

Robin
StuartT

Post by StuartT »

wow! I didn't know that. Impressive frame rate!

Thanks again
StuartT

Post by StuartT »

admin wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 1:54 pm Hi,

I think I understand - the calculation is done based on the exposure length of the camera (rather than the FPS). If you are running 50ms exposures and getting 20fps then it will correctly show the end time. If you are running 1ms exposures, but only getting 5fps then it will think 5000 frames should be captured in 5s, not 1000s.

I will look into adjusting this.

cheers,

Robin
Hi Robin, will this be done in the next release?

Thanks
Stuart
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Stuart,

already fixed I think - are you using the latest version from the download page?

cheers,

Robin
StuartT

Post by StuartT »

cool! I am using 4.0 but I see it's only build 8604, so I'll get the latest one.

Thanks!!