New Feature : Deep Sky Image Annotation

All the latest news about new features and improvements to SharpCap
admin
Site Admin

Re: New Feature : Deep Sky Image Annotation

Post by admin »

Hi folks,

I'm happy to add support for an alternate (text based) format if that's easier than the current CSV format. The documented CSV format is just an extension of a simpler CSV format that I was already using for the target list in the sequence planner. I have code that can read co-ordinates in HH MM SS/dd mm ss forma, so decimal co-ordinates are not requried. If it is another CSV format then it would need a header line to distinguish it from the current CSV.

The CSV files are actually embedded into the SharpCap application, so you can't just add a few more entries on the end.

cheers,

Robin
GaryS

Post by GaryS »

Instructions in this thread say that RA needs to be decimal hours. Is that no longer the case? It would be nice not to have to convert every RA entered to user lists.
Gary
procyon12

Post by procyon12 »

Hi,

I made a test with a user star in the old manner (csv as described in #3).

Code: Select all

IDs|Names|Type|RA(decimal hours)|Dec(degrees)|VMag|RMax(arcmin)|RMin(arcmin)|PosAngle
1|HD24076|Star|3.8479056|23.9611944||||
An artificial image containing this star was generated with CDC, was loaded into the deep sky camera, solved, annotated: it works very well, see picture.

However, there was the conversion into decimal (used https://www.astrouw.edu.pl/~jskowron/ra-dec/). It will be very good to simplify this.

@Stefan: Good idea to use OccultWatcher. It has already RA/Dec of the star. I think if we have Robin's improvements we will see how it works manually, ideally someone could write a plugin for OccultWatcher.

Cheers, Christian
Attachments
Clipboard15a.jpg
Clipboard15a.jpg (202.11 KiB) Viewed 3756 times
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

Glad to see it is working as intended :)

On the co-ordinates, yes, decimal hours at the moment. I am still working on improvements to this functionality for next week - please feel free to continue suggesting further changes/improvements while I do that, then hopefully we can reach some sort of consensus on the best way to tweak this.

cheers,

Robin
vichman

Post by vichman »

Hello Robin,

on your remark earlier:
admin wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:18 pm The CSV files are actually embedded into the SharpCap application, so you can't just add a few more entries on the end.
I was referring to your comment that a CSV file that is stored in C:\Users\<your user name>\AppData\Roaming\SharpCap\AnnotationCatalogs will be read by SharpCap, so my suggestion was that a third party application like OccultWatcher could create a CSV file there or add an additional line in an existing CSV file.
Or did I misunderstand the whole concept?

Thanks,
Stefan
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Stefan,

sorry, crossed wires.

The core CSV (NGC, IC, Bright Star) are embedded in SharpCap.

The additional ones are in the folder. You can make changes to the additional ones as you like, but currently SharpCap only loads them once (the first time you access the tool after starting SharpCap). Any changes made after that point will not show up until you close and restart SharpCap

cheers,

Robin
Tfer

Post by Tfer »

Robin, this feature is absolutely spectacular.

My only question: is it possible to change the font size of the annotations?
procyon12

Post by procyon12 »

Hi,

Apart from the promised basic improvements ;) , here are some more (more cosmetic) suggestions:
> a hint in cases when there is no object to annotate
> choose to show default and/or own objects
> snapshot including the annotations

Thanks, Christian
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

thanks for the suggestions - I was wondering about a different colour for custom objects, but filtering is a possibility too. I like the 'nothing in view' hint idea.

@Tfer,

do you want the ability to adjust the font size dynamically yourself or are you just saying that I have made it too big/too small in your opinion?

cheers,

Robin
procyon12

Post by procyon12 »

Robin,

I think filtering + different colours, if possible ...

Christian